Skip to main content

Happy Fall!

I'll just come right out and admit that this is probably one of the longest breaks I have taken from writing down our adventures over here and it was completely unintentional! Life got really busy, mornings got earlier and nights got really tired. But, here I am! I even have my first new laptop that is mine all mine since I was in grad school. Mac Books have come a long way in 10 (ohemgee) years.

How are you? How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was pretty lovely - family, chosen family, food and more food. We ran our annual Turkey Trot, which was a bit of a disaster for my own running career, but I was back at it again this morning with 5 really good miles, so I will just have to redeem myself next year. I am training for another marathon - number 5 - which will be in Louisiana in January. This has been my best training yet and I chock it up to a lot more miles and a lot of time spent at the gym on my lunch breaks cross training and doing the exercised I learned in PT. I am hoping to shave about 12 minutes off my current PR, and based on my recent half marathon PR I think it might be possible!




I recently wrapped up a very fun gig volunteering on the campaign to reelect our Mayor, which was an invaluable experience for me and resulted in a very sweet victory. Last year's presidential election gave me a push to not just vote and speak my mind about issues but to also get involved with helping the candidates who I think best represent my city/state/country's interests. I have no desire to be a politician, so I could really just soak in the experience and learn about what it takes to run a successful campaign (spoiler alert: it is WICKED hard). I spent a lot of time knocking doors, talking to neighbors, and showing up to things and I was super honored to be a part of it all and to work alongside the people that I did. Congrats, Marty, and thanks for the opportunity!



Madeleine turned SIX on Monday and just like that she is more kid than little kid. I am just amazed at how awesome she is and what a smart, funny, confident, kind and just all around bad ass little human we are raising. She is learning how to read which is bringing her (and me!) so much joy and I anticipate some awesome winter days spent reading side by side cozied up under the blanket together. She remains a great artist and dancer and has also started singing in a choir which has she is enjoying. Her third season of soccer wrapped up and she cannot wait for the next, so Coach Dad is continuing to work with her and she is going to be taking a basketball clinic soon to explore that sport. She is so kind to her friends, her sister and to strangers alike and I feel so lucky to be her mama.




Now that Thanksgiving is over I am full on ready for ALL THE CHRISTMAS and we have so many fun things planned - Christmas tree lightings, decorating our house, the Nutcracker, Rudoloph on stage, the Train to Christmas town, Maddie's dance and choir recitals, Christmas movies (Maddie and I may have already watched the Grinch this week) and trying to give back to our community as much as we can.

Looking forward to making some time to visit here more, too! Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart