Skip to main content

The Employment Line


I just accepted a job offer! I am going to be the newest Case Manager at Community Work Services. I am so excited to be back in the real world and, more importantly, back to helping people!
I think that this job is going to mesh really well with where I am at in my life. The work day always ends at 4:30, there is early release on Fridays and the day before holidays (of which there are 11 paid!), and there are no weekends or on-call shifts. This schedule is awesome because right now all I want to focus on (aside from work) is being married and jumping back into volunteering. Now that I am not directly working with the prison population I plan on joining an organization that goes into the prison to do tutoring and mentoring with inmates; this is something I have wanted to do for years but did not want to burn myself out by doing it in addition to my work with them. I am also going to diligently seek a board that I can become a member of, hopefully in the area of animal or child welfare. A regular work schedule is going to allow me to pursue these things, and leave me time to be a super awesome wife who isn't over-worked and over-stressed from working in a negative and abusive environment.
The holidays (which are right around the corner) are my most favorite time for volunteering, and it also means lots of baking and crafting and time with friends and family, and I feel like this position is going to allow me to enjoy this to the fullest. The environment at CWS seems super positive and the Case Managers I met and talked with seemed really happy and upbeat about their work-life. The building is gorgeous (and oh so close to Beer Works on Canal Street if anyone wants to meet me for lunch!). I get to build my resume by working with a totally new population and new agencies and I get to help people! My favorite thing of all time!
I have to thank my wonderful fiance for allowing me this time to be out of work because there was no way this would have happened if I was still rotting away in my previous position. I got to really focus on getting my resume and cover letters out, preparing for interviews, and relaxing! I have not had this much time away from work since I graduated from Suffolk in 2007 and went to Europe on my backpacking excursion, and I really didn't realize how much I needed this until it happened. I have spent a lot of time catching up with my friends, working on wedding plans and working on my tan at the beach and I feel so ready to jump into work and give this organization the best of Stefanie. None of this would have been possible without Matty and I cannot wait to be his blushing bride in just 47 short days!!
Huge thanks too to all of my friends who encouraged me, looked over my resume, sent me job openings, bought me lunch and kept telling me the things I needed to hear as I navigated my way to this position. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful people in my life and I love you guys to pieces.
Well, since I have four days left of unemployment, I have to get a lot done...fishing today, Martha's Vineyard with our dear friend Julie this weekend...and I definitely need to take some of our wedding gifts for a test drive in the kitchen! A Stefanie's work is never done!!!
Hoooray!!

XoXo

PS. I made those cupcakes last night when I got home from the beach!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart