Skip to main content

There's a baby in my belly!


It's true!! Matty and I made a baby, and it's growing and thriving in my tummy right now! As of today I am 12 weeks and going into my 13th (helloooo 2nd trimester) and I am feeling great. I have been ridiculously lucky and have not had any morning sickness or crankiness or emotional breakdowns at all. The most significant symptoms I have are being super, duper tired and a bout of hormonal acne that is bringing me back to my high school days. Both of these things are supposed to fade out this trimester, and I am going to see my dermatologist to get some prego-friendly goods for my face. Considering the many (many, many) stories we have all heard/seen/read/experienced about what being knocked up is like, I think I am making out like a bandit with this pregnancy so far.

Since this is the first time I have been able to shout it from the rooftop, I give you my little story on how we found out there was a baby on board:

March 14th was a Monday that followed a pretty crazy weekend. I had gone to visit Amy in Northampton on Saturday night and we drove up to a show in Vermont and then went out for a bit in NoHo afterwards. The being out didn't last long since I was super exhausted and the last beer I ordered (a cream stout of some sort) didn't even appeal to me and I actually left behind a full beer on the counter! That next morning Matty and I had a brunch with our church group and a speaker coming to talk to us about the rosary so I had to get up super early and fly down the pike to get home in time for the 10am Mass. After all of that, I then had a date with my Little to go ice skating, so after best hour long nap ever I was back out the door to ice skate with a 9 year old. By the time Sunday was over I was literally crawling into bed, and when I woke up for work the next morning I literally just could not do it. I was exhausted, I hadn't been able to do my usual pre-work week organizing and I knew it was going to be a big week with St. Patty's coming up, so I just gave in and called out and went right back to bed. I slept well until the double-digits and it was glorious.

When I woke up I decided to get some things done around the house and then head to Target for a little retail therapy. Also, since Matty and I had been actively trying to get pregnant, I decided to pick up a pregnancy test just in case so that I wouldn't spend the week celebrating St. Patty's and find out afterward that I had a Jameson soaked baby. I had only been back from visiting my family on the West Coast for a couple of weeks, and I had started my period while I was away (my 1st since stopping a 14 year birth control practice) but I wanted to be sure. There was a three pack on sale too, and you all know I love a bargain. I picked up some shamrock boxers for Matty too, for good measure, and even texted Amy that I was being the ultimate Irish wife with my Target purchases that day. I got home and had to wait for Matty to get home from work, which was literally the longest few hours ever. I didn't actually believe that I was pregnant, but I wanted the anticipation to be done so I could stop thinking about it. I picked Matty up and even had the conversation with him that it was pretty unlikely that I was going to be knocked up so soon so we needed to not get our hopes up and just focus on trying (wink, nudge). So we got home, I peed on the stick and stuck it on the bathtub and stared at the door from the living room for the next few minutes (which felt like hours). I could barely wait to look at it and I was so excited going into the bathroom that you might have though there was a gang of English bulldog puppies waiting in there for me. We walked in and looked at it, and there it was:

*sorry for the pee shot, but I was freaking out when I took this!

Baby!! Matty and I were going to have a baby!! Was it the praying of the rosary or the extra sleep or maybe that fresh San Diego air? Or maybe it was all that fornicating with my husband? Whatever it was - there was a baby in my belly!!
We laughed, I cried, we double checked, I triple checked, we hugged and we kissed, and then I did what any Irish wife would do, I went to the kitchen, threw on my apron and started dinner while making my husband a nice, stiff drink.

And that, folks, is how we found out that we are going to have the biggest, best, most challenging and most rewarding addition to our family.

Next time: how we told our family and friends and our trip to Florida with a baby on board.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart