Skip to main content

Date Night!

Since having the baby Matty and I have been lucky to make it out for a date night once a month, though it took us until the third time out to really let loose and not inhale our food and rush back as soon as possible. I have to admit, it was pretty awesome just to relax and enjoy each other, to talk about work and dreams and gossip (my favorite topics, especially the latter two) and to allow Maddie to have her fun time away from us too (ie. getting spoiled with love by her Grand Aunt).

We decided to get dinner at the Island Creek Oyster Bar in Kenmore Square as we had been meaning to go there since they opened, but someone was pregnant for 9 months and couldn't have raw oysters, which is the whole point of going there, if you ask me. The spot itself is really well thought out and resembles being down the Cape in an artsy, modernist sort of way. There is a huge mural of the shore on one wall and oysters in cages line another wall while dozens of cans of Narraganset line the bar walls. Very clever and very much things that I like! The oyster selection was aplenty and there was more than one entree that I wanted to eat right then and there (I only had one!) The beer and cocktail menus also had a lot of yummy pickings but I went with an Old Cuban (called the Air Mail here), which ended up not being my last for the evening...more on that later. Our food was delicious, our conversation was adult (as in, not only about diapers and things that end in eeee sounds) and we only looked at pictures of the baby once...okay and we watched one video but Matty hadn't seen it yet!

Mmmnm oysters!

After dinner we decided to go to Eastern Standard for a drink and despite it being crowded we got seats at the bar and I ordered myself another Old Cuban (so good!) while Matty discovered a delicious whiskey called Fighting Cock, which we researched and found to actually be inexpensive (and not hangover inducing...miracle!). We sat and enjoyed our drinks, exchanged banter with our awesome bartender and just enjoyed ourselves. It was really, really wonderful. I highly recommend marrying your best friend because it makes life really great on nights like these (and every other day and night really).

Mmmmm Old Cuban


After Mama had another Old Cuban (this makes three now if you have lost count, exactly three more than I have had in the past year) and one beer (which brings the total to two for the night) we decided it would be a good time to get going and enjoy some fresh air, some canoodling and the anticipation that builds when we get to go pick up our sweet little baby girl after a few hours away. Needless to say I got a good night's sleep last night and woke up with absolutely no desire to get out of my yoga pants or leave the front porch, which is exactly what I did. And I snuggled with this little face

And now it is my last weekend before going back to work. Lots of emotions are stirring around but I am going to enjoy the sunny weekend, my massage on Monday and the two people who I love the most in the world.

Hope you have a great long weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart