Skip to main content

Work, Mommy, Work!


Baby Girl enjoying the hotel room bed

Last Tuesday was my first day back to work (Mardi Gras, coincidentally) so I spent most of Monday evening packing and checking and thinking and packing more, preparing for my big day as though it was my first day of school (I even had a back-to-school zit pop up, just like high school!).

I showed up to work on Tuesday morning with three bags full of stuff - breast pump, lunch, bulldog puppy calendar - you know, the necessities. I also had dry eyes. Like, no tears at all. Nor have I had them yet. In fact, I can say with confidence that it is good to be back to work. Crazy, right?

The thing is I love my job. And I have awesome co-workers who decorate my cube and give me hugs and check on me and let me show them twenty five pictures of Maddie doing the same thing over and over and they smile and fuss over her with me. I love them, all of them, I really do. I also have an awesome boss who urges me to slow down and ease into work again (which is such a weird concept to me). And I have an awesome husband who is completely one half of this parenting duo and awesome friends who love me and sent me texts and emails to make sure I wasn't in the bathroom crying my eyes out with one of Maddie's socks. (I haven't done any bathroom crying, but I am reserving my right to do so, just in case I have one of those days, which I am sure I will, and I am totally okay with that.) Oh, and have I mentioned how much I love our nanny? Because I do. Maddie gets totally smiley faced when she sees her and is happy as a little clam when I get home because she has had such a fun day with her nanny and her little buddy that shares her with us. It's so wonderful and worth every single penny to know that my baby girl is at our house soaking up the love in safe hands all day.

Last week was also just really busy for us despite me being back at work, but somehow we all made it through in once piece and had an awesome little weekend getaway together including Maddie's first hotel stay. She was an adaptable little trooper and followed her exact same sleeping patterns and went to bed at the normal time, woke up quietly throughout the night just to nurse, and then woke up at the normal time with a big grin ready to face the day and cheer her Daddy on at the Hyannis Half Marathon. She's such a wonderful little lady and I am so glad that we decided to follow our guts with this whole parenting thing so we would have a chill little person instead of an over-scheduled, over-regulated Faberge egg baby. We take her everywhere and expose her to lots of different experiences and people and atmospheres and she's just such a happy, healthy little trooper because of it. She has napped in so many loud, hectic, bizarre places and nursed just about everywhere you can think of and is always just happy to be hanging out with her parents living life in the baby lane.

So this is how people end up with six children.

Speaking of children, last night I went out sans mine to enjoy some lady time and some brass band awesomeness at the House of Blues. It was my first time out without one or the other of Matty or the baby and my first time being able to have a drink while out alone in a year. A YEAR. It was fun and uneventful in the best possible way, leading me to believe that I am starting to get this whole balance thing down. Case Manager, mommy, wife, friend, music enthusiast, celebrity chef impersonator, yogi, Mass attendee (even on Ash Wednesday at 6:45am with husband and baby in tow!). I was scared that having a baby was going to make being super busy less fun, or more stressful but really is just makes it more awesome because when I am driving home from the Cyclist's Union board meeting tonight, going over the meetings that I have tomorrow, reminding myself to buy that dress I fell in love with at Anthropologie, thinking about the FIVE weddings that we are going to attend in the span of three months and checking my friend's registry for her baby shower this weekend I will have a spot in my thoughts constantly reserved for that beaming little face that I get to kiss when I get home.



It makes my fourth cup of coffee today that much sweeter.

Happy Monday!!
XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart