Skip to main content

Hell Night!

Welcome to Hell (Night)!!!
 Wednesday night Matty, Kendra, V and another couple friend attended Hell Night at East Coast Grill. I am still sweating. Like, in between my toes.
If you aren't privy to the Hell Night situation, it goes a little something like this: East Coast Grill (one of my favorite places to eat in the area) takes a couple of nights with a special menu containing the hottest food one could possible imagine putting near their face. Naturally, we have been dying to go forever but it just never seemed to materialize. Then V, being the total badass foodie friend that he is, got reservations for all of us. And then, we got a sitter. No, for reals, and it wasn't Kendra, because she was with us! Two wonderful, newlywed friends were so wonderful and came over to hang out while Maddie slept snug in our bed so Mama and Dada could shovel hot fire into our faces!
First of all, it was so fun to be out with K and V, just like old times drinking beers and being inappropriate in public. Our reservations weren't until 9:30 so we had time to get beers next door at Bukowski's, and lucky for me they had my absolute favorite pumpkin beer on draft, the Southern Tier Pumpking. So, so good and it even came in its proper glassware!
Once 9:30 rolled around it was game time! We walked into ECG and they had gone all out with decorations, red light and lots of metal blaring. It was perfect. Once I started looking over the menu I started to get all wimpy and thought about just ordering a Hell Night appetizer and then getting my old standard Mahi Mahi off the Wimp Menu, but once the waitress came to me, I grew some guts and ordered the Whole Slab Hickory Smoked Baby Back Ribs (4 bomb rating) and the table ordered the Russian Roulette Pork Meatballs (1 to 10 bombs). I am pretty sure I got a meatball on the low end, but there was a definite moment of fear as the heat crept up and I waited to see what would happen! The best part about East Coast Grill is that the food isn't just hot for the sake of being hot; it is all delicious and full of flavors and spices so you actually want to enjoy the blazing fire in your mouth.
Trying not to cry on my ribs.
I was definitely not a badass and only got four or so ribs in me before I had to sit back and dab ice on my tongue while I got the chills and cursed myself for not being V. V, the complete warrior of our table who HOUSED the Smoked Chicken Thigh Curry (14 bombs)  like a g'damn champ. I have done a lot of eating with V, in a lot of places (NOLA, Vegas) but this was the first time I had ever seen him look uncomfortable. It was intense! But he did it and got his shirt and cheers, and the rest of us got to put ice on our tongues and laugh and just have an awesome time. The best part of the meal was definitely the pumpkin pie ice cream; it was spicy but the chunks of pie and cool creamy aspect of it made it the perfect ending to a sizzling evening!
I can now say that I have gone and I definitely recommend it!

Next up, our trip to the Wellfleet Oysterfest this weekend!

Your friend in food, XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart