Skip to main content

Wishing for 8 Days a Week

Fish at the pediatrician's office! We need some of these.
No, not the Beatle's song, though I do like that song, especially as it relates to a cute story about my husband and his father's awesome storytelling that resulted in little Matt O'Shea explaining that England has 8 days in a week due to Greenwich Mean Time. Ah, I cannot wait for Maddie to start being fooled by her Papa's elaborate stories.

I want eight days a week because seven is just not enough anymore - not even close, actually. Between work time, family time, personal time, friend time and the most overlooked, sleep time I just really want one more day to have time to do more of it (especially that last one).


A typical weekday has me up at 5am and out the door for a run, back to hang out with Maddie and have breakfast and play and watch Sesame Street, then it is off to work while Maddie and her nanny go on awesome adventures. I get home, we cook and play and dance and have tubbie time, sometimes I go to yoga after the baby is in bed or the hubs and I hang out and watch cooking shows or hockey (!), talk about stuff, make fun plans for the future and then I attempt to get at least one page of reading in bed before I pass out anytime between 9:30 and 11.
Lounging with Mama.

Then we wash, rinse and repeat, sometimes with extra playtime or friend time or sleep time (ha!). Then we get the weekends and all the good stuff, with none of that distracting work stuff and at the end of Sunday I really just want one more day, I would even accept an extra weekday, at least then I could try and get two yoga classes in each week.

I have always had impeccable time management skills (thanks uber type a personality!) so it is not that I am not able to do all of the things I need and want to do, I mean, I even sacrifice some of my work hours to blogging and catch up on all of the celebrity gossip I missed while I slept less hours than I need :). I could eliminate things, sure, but that wouldn't be fun and the busy days are not making me unhappy in anyway. If I do start to get that sense of overwhelming-ness  I remind myself that I am super lucky that my life is so un-boring and that when we retire on a big ol' plantation in New Orleans I will have all the time in the world to be bored, with lots of cocktails in my rocking chair.

So, what is a person to do? Blog about it, thank my stars, and move on? Sounds good. Thanks for listening.

Moving on.

At the Boston Pride Parade!
Sunday at the park near our house.
This weekend we are celebrating the Number One Dad in the whole world by going to Edaville USA so Maddie can ride a real life Thomas; we are so freaking excited to see the look on her face when she realizes who she is visiting - she does this adorable little head bob dance when she sees Thomas that is the same thing she does when she hears the theme song - so cute! Then we are going to continue down the Cape to see Papa and wish him a happy daddy's day too!

This is after music class, long marathon training runs, sandpapering and painting Maddie's new table and chairs, spending some lady time with my ladies, grocery shopping and food prep for the week and all the play and naps we can fit in between, of course.

You know, the usual.

Happy Thursday (known around these parts as the best day of the week because it is family dinner night so we get the best meal of the week and get to spend the evening with Jane!)!

XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart