Skip to main content

April, May, Here We Are!

You guys. A LOT has happened since we last spoke. Some good, some great, some awful, but we made it. Seems pretty obvious to still be standing but there have been a few times in the past three weeks where I had to just pat myself on the back for the lack of laying down and giving up.
It has been insanity, but cheers to the sunshine outside and the summer vacation request on my desk and all that exciting stuff to come. However, let's give it up for the last few weeks, shall we?

I ran the marathon. Excuse me, the Marathon. As in Boston. And it was a PR and I raised over $7,500 for Boston Cares. It was amazing and fun and inspiring and I am still thinking about what a blur it was after all those months of training. I am beyond honored to have done it and so proud of all my friends and strangers who chased the unicorn that day.

Then, my Mom was here, so we got to hang out with her, which is always awesome, especially for those girls of mine who think that Gramma is just the cat's pajamas (they're right, she is). We ate, we shopped, we touristed and she was gone much too fast, as always.

We didn't even get much time to be sad because the day she left the four of us got on a plane and headed to DC for a little touristing before I had a work conference for a few days in Maryland. Matt and I played a very skilled game of parenting and tried to switch off and tire out and not cry and I must say we did a pretty great job, mostly because that man is Superdad. It was Annabel's first vacation after transitioning out of our bed and she did a great job in her crib, even when we put her in crib in a closet in a shared hotel room. Maddie was a little maddening, but apparently that is what happens when you're four (right? parents? please tell me they are all a little/lot crazy?).

Then we came home, on a 7am plane, which was a miracle unto itself that all four of us managed to get up at the crack of dawn and get ourselves across Maryland and home in one piece. We came home to devastating news in the neighborhood and spent the rest of the week trying to be as helpful as possible and doing a lot of praying and hugging the ones we love.

Then Maddie got a stomach bug for the weekend, which was fine because it gave us all a chance to relax and chill out and recover. Then I turned 34 at Fenway Park with the love of my life sitting next to me in the pouring rain and things could not have been more perfect.
Then I got the bug. Then Matt. Then our nanny and then it was like the g'damn Oregon trail where everyone gets dysentery and the ox goes feet up because HOLY MOLY I cannot believe how fast that puppy spread. The good news is that I was already planning a post-marathon no sugar/no alcohol cleanse but the bad news is I expected to at least be able to drink water. UGH.
But we recovered. Well, now my AIL has it but I blame the fact that the entire city seems to have it, even if Maddie may or may not be patient zero.

After we could all eat again (thank GOD) it was Mother's Day, which I spent relaxing and eating homemade meals from my AIL and hubs and being very thankful to get to be a mama to these two little ladies.

And now here we are.

Feeling better, planning our summer (bucket list post to come) and getting ready for Matt's graduation this weekend (yay, Matt!).

Phew. Ok, glad we could spend this time catching up.

Ready for a photo binge?

Start line dance party.
Halfway!
Heartbreak Hill.
DONE.
Vacation means popcorn and the Disney Channel in the big bed.

Heart eye emoji at Dada.
My peas in a pod at the zoo in DC.
Maddie and her new aviating family. 
Straight touristing.
Annie liked DC, especially the lunch part.
All the museums!
Still not entirely sure who lives there but she liked his lawn.
Mama's day love.
Park time before the Mother's Day deluge.
My favorite flower bouquet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart