Skip to main content

Running: Why I Quit the App

I haven't blogged since July and I clicked over here just to remind myself that no one really reads it anyways and saw that I have had a lot of visitor's and, more importantly, so many adventures that I want to share and keep in this space of mine! So far this summer we have been to Maine, Southern California, Cape Cod, and all over our lovely city doing all sorts of fun stuff. I have literally thrown in the towel on anything that doesn't involve getting every last drop of summertime in, which is saying a lot since I have a very comprehensive list of house projects to work on. I am going to overshare the hell out of some Disneyland pics soon, so please bear with me.

But, for now, let's talk about how I broke up with my Nike Plus Running app and have gone rogue.

I use a Garmin when I run most of the time because I like to know my pace and really like to know my distance (I have no sense of direction at all and will keep running if my watch doesn't tell me when to turn around). More and more lately on my Saturday runs with my run club I just wear my Apple Watch because I care more about socializing than I do my pace, and I cannot help but look at my Garmin if I have it on and know how rude it seems to do that when someone is talking! I never want people to think that I care about my time over my company, plus the Apple Watch means I can see any text message SOS' from home (aka get iced coffee, or check out the kids being cute) without having to dig my phone out. And, until last week, I always had my Nike Plus on as a back up. I liked that it has been tracking my miles since the beginning of my running journey and it is cool to see the thousands of miles add up BUT I feel like it causes a pressure that I am not willing to entertain anymore, including against myself.
The average pace of my running career is just not helpful or motivating to see. I have run when I was a new mom, new runner, leaky mess who just wanted to get thru a half a mile without stopping. I have run when I was just out with friends going as slow as I needed to get back into it after my second baby. I have run three marathons with it. I have run my fastest miles, which I never thought I could do. I have done so much that I no longer feel like I want some electronic counter of what I have accomplished because, really, I know by looking in the mirror. I know by the medals in my closet (yep, just hanging on a hanger next to my new dress I can't wait to wear on my wedding anniversary). I know, most importantly, by the number of friends in this crazy awesome community that I have because of 7am runs on Saturday mornings.

So, I deleted it. The update sucked and I decided to kick it old school and start journaling my miles on good ol' pen and paper. Instead of just pace and route I want to note who I ran with, if they told me about their birthday coming up so I remember to get them a card, if we went down a new street that I had not run or saw a new place to get dinner later, if I like the underwear I was wearing or if they bunched. You know, the important stuff. And of course I will have my distance and my pace but sometimes that isn't going to matter to me, and sometimes it is (like when I try to PR my last PR!).

And now, I feel kind of free, which is silly that it was having such an affect on me, but really I don't need other people to know when I run or how many miles each month, because sometimes I run over 100 in a month and sometimes I eke out 30 because SUMMER and KIDS and LIFE. And sometimes I DO want to share what  bad ass I was and I will (trust me, I will) but maybe I will just take a picture of my journal now :)

Also, this whole epiphany came just in time because I had the WORST run I have had in ages this weekend (do not EVER eat an apple and then start running) but as I walked and ran and stopped and puked I was pleased with the fact that it was back to basics and just me, my run and whatever pace or mileage I had going on in that moment.

So, here's to paper and pen and bringing it back to basics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart