Skip to main content

Just a Few Things

Hello! Hello? Is that an echo I hear? The sound of months gone by neglecting this space of mine?
It happens, it does, but it makes me sad every time it does, so let's just cut to the chase and get right to it!

Just a few things going on around here:

I ran the Boston Marathon, again. I did not PR, again.
It was hot, it was sunny, and it just was not meant to be what I wanted it to be, which is a bummer but also, a lesson. I never shed those extra pounds I gained after the last marathon and I never ran in anything that wasn't totally cold, so now I know to fix those things next time.
However, I cross trained a lot for the first time in my life, which meant that when I tried to pick it up and fly those last 5 miles, which I have never, ever been able to do, I did. I flew (well, as much as one does after 21 hard as hell miles). Keeping it in the tank was not in my ability range, but I guess it is now, and I am going to keep at that.
What did not change was many, many hours and miles logged with some truly amazing people and for that, I would do it all again, even slower. Nothing beats running through negative temps with someone for a few hours and actually enjoying yourself and then crossing the finish line and cheers-ing the shit out of all that hard work, no matter how long it took.

I have found work-life balance (for now).
My 6 month mark at my job is coming up and I am so thankful that I made this change. It is challenging, engaging, busy, visible and so, so satisfying. I am using parts of my brain that have been aching to have some of the spotlight and I see real, tangible evidence that my work has an impact in the world. I also reset my boundaries and can turn work off in a way that I have never been able to. I go to the gym on my lunch breaks and have me-time, I get home from work and have family-time and I put the kids to bed and have husband-time. I don't feel like I am short changing anyone right now, and although it may not last, it is a really good feeling. Especially since I also have a running club to help lead, parent council fundraising to do, a campaign to volunteer on, books to read, friends to see, cocktails to drink, and Netflix to binge watch in between those 5pm-9am hours.

My kids are insane, and I love them.
They are smart, funny, creative, huge-personality having ladies and they rock my world. Annie still sleeps in her crib (officially 7 months later than Maddie climbed on out) but that is the only time she can be contained. Maddie is giving us major glimpses of having a KID and not just a little kid, and I am ok with it (well, most of it, the 'tude is something we will work on). Big props to the people helping me raise them because this village is kicking some serious ass together, even if we do have to drink more cocktails some nights to do it.

Travel.
We went to Puerto Rico for February break and Great Wolf Lodge for April break (both awesome, and both will get blogs) and now we are prepping for three weddings between WA, NY and VA this summer as well as some serious beach trips (c'mon summer!). Zoom!

Also, some pictures, because that is one thing I consistently do.
See you soon, blog, I promise.
Beers and lemonade for lunch after a long run!

Going to see Beauty and the Beast (LOVED).

This baby turned two!

This sums them up on so many levels.

Family swan boat ride for Easter!

Unicorn! Pay no attention to those un-attainable split goals on my arm.

Awesome friends know that cake is the best way to end a marathon.

Soccer season is HERE!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart