Skip to main content

O'Shea Summer Tour: Part One

7,800 miles - that is the final count from June 2nd to July 3rd for the O'Sheas. Phew! It was fun, a lot of fun really, and the girls continue to be such awesome travelers, which adds to the fun part.
I thought it would be fun to do a little round up and suggest some places we went and some tips that have been tried and true for us when traveling with little ones. I feel like we are seasoned pros when it comes to travel with kids, but each trip seems to teach us something new (do not, even, lug a pack and play across the country and expect your kid to sleep in it!).

As I got to our second stop I realized I should break this up into digestible posts, so you don't feel like this is your uncle's Grand Canyon slide show :) So, here we go....!

First Stop: Geneva, New York
We drove from Boston, which was a long haul, unfortunately made longer by us going out of our way to visit Ommegang Brewery, only to be turned away when we got there due to a special event that they did not have posted on their website or social media. Sigh.
We made up for it by immediately getting some local beers when we got in, and then proceeded to have a lovely time eating, drinking, hiking and attending a beautiful wedding.
Because it was a family affair, we got to see lots of cousins (Maddie's favorite) as well as all the Aunts.
This was the first time we have used a babysitter while traveling, too, which we did via Care.com. It was a little scary but the woman was lovely and took good care of the little people while we got our grown up on. The woman we had actually did a ton of hotel babysitting for people in the area for weddings, graduations and reunions, so if we ever need to do it again I will look for someone with that niche who is used to keeping kids happy in a hotel room.

Here are some recommendations if you are ever in the area:

Eat/Drink
Beef and Brew - great selection of local beers and wines (including an awesome sparkly wine) and some darn fine roast beef sandwiches - I suggest the beef and cheddar all the way. It has an old, pub like feel and the menu had a lot of good looking items on it, including a few things my picky little humans enjoyed.

Americana Vineyards Winery - after we went hiking we were starving and I really wanted to see at least one vineyard, so this is where we ended up. They were having a huge outdoor music festival with kids and dogs all over the place, so definitely a family friendly spot. We just popped into the little cafe to eat and did not join the party, but the food and wine were both great and they had a lot of kid friendly food. It was super casual too, so no need to get fancy for this spot.

Glenora Wine Cellars - this is where the wedding was and it was GORGEOUS. The views of the green hills were amazing and the bride and groom were perfection :) The food was delicious and their wine was so, so good. This would be such a sweet romantic getaway spot (someday!).

Do
Taughannock Falls State Park - we did not have a ton of time to explore the area but we got in a hike here and it was super pretty. We picked an easy trail (well, minus a lot of stairs up) that went to an overlook point for the waterfall. We also hiked down into the river bed and checked out the waterfall up close. There is a small fee to park at any of the lots around the park, but it was totally worth it. They even have picnic and swimming areas that you can access.

Stay
Ramada Geneva Lakefront - this was a great, central place that was a walk away from shops and restaurants and was right on the lake, which has a path that both Matt and I ran that also had a ton of playgrounds and a splash pad on it. Right next to the hotel was a great new playground and a wine slushie stand (that was not open when we were around). There is an indoor pool but it is TINY, as well as a restaurant that has decent food and kid friendly options.

Kiddo Suggestions
We always travel with an art bag and a pool bag, which was something we decided we needed when we were in Puerto Rico in February, and it was really helpful for both the car ride and the stay; here is what we include:

Art bag - crayons and markers (washable!), construction paper, sketch pad, coloring books, toddler scissors, twine/ribbon, glue sticks and stickers - all zipped into a large ziploc bag

Pool bag: puddle jumper/floaties, swim goggles, waterproof bag to transport things, floating pool toys and a bucket

And now, some favorite pictures from our trip!
Hanging on the playground by our hotel.

My little hiking buddy!

Pretty waterfalls.

The dried river bed.

Mmmm, wine. 

The wedding venue.

Me & my plus one for life.

Walking the path around the lake/our hotel. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart