Skip to main content

2017 Year in Review

With just a few days left before 2018, I thought it would be fun to take a look back on the past twelve months of shenanigans and share a bit about what I hope the next twelve hold!

Travel
One of my most favorite things to do and we did A LOT of it. We started off the year with an amazing trip to Puerto Rico, where we climbed in caves, ate all the delicious things and spent every single day in the pool. This was one of Maddie's favorite trips ever and we have spent a lot of time talking and planning on how to give back to the people there in 2018 as they continue to recover.
Over the summer we traveled across the country and back and all around the East Coast hitting up three beautiful weddings as well as a long visit down the Cape with family and friends.
In October we watched Matt run the Chicago Marathon and took advantage of all the amazing museums and walking around there is to do.
I love traveling with the girls and am glad that we decided from the get-go that this would be a normal part of our lives together because they are pretty awesome at it. Not to say it is easy, but the more we do it and the older they get it has definitely become a routine that they know, with expectations around how to behave.
Next year I am looking forward to our first international trip as well as two marathon trips (so far!) with Louisiana in just a few weeks and my own attempt at Chicago this fall. Also, Disney with Gramma in February, because I can already tell that this New England cold is going to wear me down quickly.

World Events
There has been a lot of, um, terrible-awful-shitty things to happen over the year. Obviously the election was a huge upset and it has spurned a lot of terrible events, but it has given us an opportunity to talk about them as a family and to further define our own moral compass. Mass shootings and racism are never easy topics to discuss with kids, but we make it a point to ensure Maddie has a safe space to ask questions and process, as well as to talk about what we can do to put some good back in the world. Growing up in the punk rock scene gave me a solid base for activism and responding to those things that I see as needing a response, and I hope to instill that in my own children. I was motivated to jump into local politics for the first time to participate as much as possible in the democratic process and had a really great learning experience by doing so. I am looking forward to continuing to be aware, to listen and to act and to help my kids do the same as we enter into the new year.

Balance
Ah, the ever moving target of achieving that triumphant work/life balance. As a mom who also has a career, a running club, a love of volunteering, friends and a desire to do it all, this is certainly no easy feat. It is also nothing that I have mastered, but as each year brings more to manage, there is nothing to do but try. As Maddie has more on her activities calendar, and Matt's career becomes more demanding, I rely more on planning ahead, whether with a weekly spreadsheet on the fridge or just laying out my running clothes at night, and reminding myself that I am so lucky to live this full life with the joy I get out of each pursuit. This year was definitely one for the books between election volunteering, road race planning and marathon training all overlapping, but as I coast down the other side of it, I have to say we did a pretty good job. And yes, WE, is the operative word, because none of it would be possible without my support team (our Mary Poppins-like nanny and that selfless husband of mine). In 2018 I hope to add a little more intentional time back into my life with meditating and less screen time in the evenings (I love social media but I could really use the time before bedtime a lot better than scrolling Insta for hours!).

Growth
Professionally, personally and physically I always want to be better at what I do. Work had some really solid challenges for me that I was able to meet and learn from, and next year I am hoping to take myself out of my comfort zone even more and take on some new projects that are unfamiliar. Personally I am always seeking out how to be a better mom, friend, daughter and wife and this year I really tried to reflect on these roles and seek out feedback to improve, which there is always room for. Physically I have become a stronger runner, pushing myself to a half marathon PR after a disappointing attempt at Boston to beat my 2016 time. Again, taking myself out of my comfort zone and pushing, while scary and unfamiliar, produces results, and that is something I am carrying into the next year and this marathon in a few weeks, and then onto the next one!

Also, some random favorite things in 2018 in case y'all thought I was getting too deep: all the pregnant Kardashians (bring it, Kylie!), sparkling SmartWater (even if you are too damn hard to find), all things rose flavored and Legos (because they make my kids so happy, creative and QUIET).

Happy (almost) New Year!

Comments

Unknown said…
I highly recommend the Moment app for your phone in order to be more intentional about using social media and such. I just posted about it on my Facebook! Also, read Bored and Brilliant. Great stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart