Skip to main content

Currently // Never Ending Winter

Although I try really hard not to complain about the weather (this is New England, after all) I just CANNOT with it anymore. It is like the 312th day of winter over here. Marathon Monday - I mean, are you KIDDING me? I just want anything over 50 degrees (okay, what I really want is like 70 but I am willing to negotiate). For someone who loves being outside and spends a lot of time walking as a commute, I am so over it. Do you hear me, nature? OVER IT.

But anyways.

Here is a bit else going on in life:

Reading
I just finished The Paris Wife, which is an historical fiction novel written from the perspective of Ernest Hemingway's first wife. I love me some Hemingway and he also has a special place in my heart because of my high school English teacher who not only looked like him but also loved him and was the first person to have me read For Whom the Bell Tolls, along with so many other classics that I probably would not have read without his urging. Oh, and the book was really good; kind of gets you in the gut about love and loss. And now I am finally reading Caitlin Doughty's new book From Here to Eternity which is so good. I saw her speak at Mt. Auburn Cemetery on that book tour and have been excited to read it since. She has such a fascinating but common-sense view on death and dying and if you are not familiar with her and the death-positive movement I strongly suggest looking her up.

Eating 
The O'Shea household has been trying out the standardized weekly menu in an attempt to vary the amount of foods the girls will eat (which can currently be counted on about one hand). Taco Tuesday has given us cubed chicken, shredded chicken, tofu and lots of threats to sell them to gypsies, so it's working out fairly well. Matt and I both love to cook so we are allowing ourselves to get creative on the weekends while keeping it simple during the week, which also makes grocery shopping and meal prep really easy. Not to bring it up again, but if the weather would cooperate it would be so lovely to rotate using the grill into our week....you hearing me, nature?

However, the days leading up to and following the marathon looked something like pasta, pasta, pizza, beer, beer, cake....so I have been detoxing with smoothies and soups trying to give my poor body a break (and I didn't even run!).

Thinking About
Aside from sun and warmth? Being on the Cape, packing up on a Saturday morning in the summer and heading to the beach on bikes from home, sitting outside on the porch after work while the girls play. Not being cold. Ok, that is pretty much all I can think about.

But also, always thinking about the next goal to work towards. I just watched Matt smash his personal record running the most miserable (weather-wise) Boston Marathon in history and it has been my inspiration for some fast runs this week. I am running Chicago in October and would like to beat my time from Louisiana, which will take a lot of work, but I am up for the challenge.

Finally, working on the house goals are back on my mind since we have officially moved the girls in together and can revamp our third bedroom into a little oasis for doing homework, reading, blogging and having a nice space for overnight guests.

Listening
I am still totally obsessed with the My Favorite Murder Podcast and am working my way through a new (to me) one on the Boston Strangler, recommended to me by my SIL, called Stranglers. I remember working on the Bridgewater State Hospital/Prison campus and staring at the hospital thinking about all the stories that have come out of there, and there are some good reenactments of DeSalvo's "confession" that bring me back to that creepy place.

Watching
I have so many shows on Netflix and the Tivo that I want to catch up on but there has just been no time lately! At the gym I am working my way through the second season of Insecure, which is so brilliant and funny that I sometime laugh out loud on the elliptical and have probably earned quite a reputation. Maybe now that marathon training activities have come to a lull and I am halfway through an evening class I will find the time to catch up on everything else.

Loving
I am really happy to be in a place of work-life balance and excited that Matt is about to feel some of that for himself for the first time in a long time. His work hours are much more demanding than mine, but we both have careers that we throw our all into, so it can be challenging to turn that off at times, but I think I have found a really good system for myself and think that encouragement has spread around the dinner table as much as it can. Now if only we had some warm nights to spend on the porch to celebrate....

Finally, some current favorite pictures from life lately:

A dude and his fan club. 

Easter dresses are my favorite. 

Cheering on runners at the Marathon!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Quarantine Diaries//The Good Stuff

Welllllll, I guess this is what I get for never getting around to writing that blog about the Disney Cruise we went on, because we are going straight from talking about sober January to um, a very different situation in...what month is it again? Let's get to it. Mondays in quarantine tend to be hard for me; not that I was a big fan of them before, but something about being stuck at home to work, school, parent, exercise, eat (you know all those things we used to do outside the home) just makes Mondays suck extra. While Friday is like a celebration of another week down, maybe another week closer to being on the other side of this, here comes Monday feeling like a daunting reminder that we are still very deep in this.  I have so many thoughts, so many feelings and so many emotions, and coming here to write things down is going to be a part of my routine again, because someday I want to look back at this and be proud of how we handled things, happy about being through it and th