Skip to main content

5 Things // My Healthy Tricks

Let's be clear that I am in no way the healthiest person I know (more miles = more beer) but there are some easy ways that I try to maintain some balance, which I thought I would share in case it sparks anything helpful in someone else.

Meal Planning
I am not talking about pretty bento boxes of veggies, perfectly weighed out to by macros and ketos and whatever else the popular bloggers are doing. I just mean I sit down (with Matt) every Friday night and look at our calendars, decide what we will have for dinners, and make a grocery list. We have a weekly cash budget to stick to (more on that in another post) so we check the circular for anything on sale that we can take advantage of, such as chicken breasts and produce, since those are staples. I also like to make things that we can generate leftovers for our weekday lunches, such as chicken to throw in rice bowls or Thug Kitchen's delicious roasted beet and quinoa salad that is amazing over a handful of spinach.

A few months ago we made a weekly menu that we try to stick to, both for simplicity and to try and get our kids to eat more than just pasta every night. Whenever I have an hour or two at home on the weekend I try to prep as much as possible - tofu fried up for sofritas tacos or avocado and rice bowls, marinara sauce for pasta and bananas into the freezer for morning smoothies. It is such a small amount of time on the weekend but makes our weeknight hustle so much less chaotic.

At least one or two nights a week one of us is not home for dinner, so that is the night we have breakfast for dinner, which for me is eggs and avocado toast (and sometimes vegetarian baked beans). And of course, Friday is most always pizza night because, balance!

Making time to work out
Easier said than done, absolutely, but the reason that I started running (in 2012, a few months after having Maddie) was because I needed something I could do anytime (ie. 5:00am when the baby is finally asleep), anywhere (home, vacation) and before the light of day so no one could see me huffing and puffing down the sidewalk. Now, I set my alarm clock for 4:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays to meet my friends for a 5 miler before I have to get Maddie up for school at 6:00. Every Saturday morning, no matter how fun Friday night ends up. I meet my running club at 7:00 for 5-10 (or more) miles. I LOVE sleep and I have children who night wander and end up sleeping on my head and getting up sometimes sucks but I always feel better after, always.

Every day I leave work for my lunch break (or sometimes later in the afternoon depending on meetings) and I go to the gym next door. Some days I ride my bike to and from work (6.5 miles each way). These might not work for you - maybe it is a quick run around the block in the evening or a trip to the gym after bedtime - if you want it bad enough you have to find the time and make it a habit. I promise, it is worth it. Need more motivation - get a buddy! Knowing that someone is waiting for you will keep you from hitting snooze or bailing out on your workout. Side note: it is also the most time I have with my friends to just talk without phones or kids or other interruptions.

Mix it up
Running is my jam, but after enough visits to the physical therapist I know that I can't do the same thing over and over and expect to be in peak shape. I also do spin and pilates classes at lunch once a week, join a friend for a strength training and core routine at the gym, and hop on the elliptical with Netflix. Sometimes I pop on a podcast and go through a routine with weights. This keeps me from getting bored or feeling stuck in a routine, while also making me a better runner.

Water
I know, not very exciting, but I drink a ton of water. My mom got me a Sodastream for Christmas and I always start my morning at work with plain carbonated water and then fill that puppy up at least 4 or 5 times before I head home. I wish I could say it keeps me full (nothing does that but delicious food) but it does keep me hydrated!

Sustainability
I always cringe when I see another friend start a cleanse or a shake diet or beach body gym challenge because 99% of the time those things don't last. I know this from being 60 pounds overweight in college and a few times since then when the scale tipped A LOT out of my favor. If you can't incorporate something into your life for every day, don't even bother. Sure, we all have that panic moment when we need to lose 5 pounds before a wedding, but that should be a big exception. Eating "clean" every meal of every day is not fun, so you have to give yourself some give and take. Everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another, but I promise you that starting with small changes that you can make a habit and working up to being a crazy person who runs at the crack of dawn is a lot easier than losing 10 pounds in a week only to gain it all back once you lay off the shakes and eat some real food again. Make it something that can be a part of your everyday life and you will be amazed with how easy it can be.

Hope this helps and if you are reading this looking for some motivation, let me know and let's meet up for a sweat session (or a beer, because, balance!).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart