Skip to main content

Chicago 2018 // Lessons Learned

Sunday marked my sixth take on 26.2 miles in six years, which is pretty crazy for me to even write because in six years I have been postpartum and breastfeeding (twice), had three jobs, bought a house, celebrated 8 years of marriage, been surrounded by dozens of wonderful friends and yet still have had zero years of prior history with running or being any sort of athlete. But here I am, a marathoner 6 times over, with my most recent being my fastest one yet at 4:15:37, which is at least an hour faster than my first and just over 4 minutes faster than my last.

I am happy, for sure. Happy that I have a body that can carry me those miles, happy to have a running club to spend hundreds of training miles with and happy to have a partner and family willing to cover dance class and Target runs and not get mad when I fall asleep before everyone else during movie night after a Saturday long run. Also, so happy to have my "off season" from training. Here is the thing that they don't tell you about running - it is a sacrifice. Yes, it is worth it, a hundred times over, but it means a lot of time spent on training, and sometimes you miss out on things, which also include sleep (hello 4:15 alarm clock!).

However, I am not as happy as I could be. My time, while a PR for me, was not what I was going for and, try as I might to not feel disappointed, I wish I would have hit my goal of 4:09. But, like life, each marathon is a lesson and helps me to better understand my body and my mind and what both of them need to be the very best runner I can be. Although I was running much faster than ever before in my training and going to the gym to work out parts of my body that are now much stronger, I missed some spots and have to train that much harder for the next one (yes, there will be a lucky number 7, God willing!). The rain and wind did not help, nor did the loss of satellite reception to keep my watch on pace and ooooh man those poor folks who did not have marathon etiquette and chose to walk in the fast lane may have gotten quite a few curses from me (in my head, of course) but, as it is, all lessons to take and grow with.

This marathon was also my hardest mentally; I struggled with some serious anxiety in the week leading up and even had a couple flares during the race, which I had to tamper down and remind that doubting voice in my head that I trained hard and would not succumb to its bullshit. Once I finished and the anxiety magically went away I realized that I had been putting a LOT of pressure on myself to finish fast and did not give myself any room for error. It makes sense to me - a world major marathon in a city far away from home, that Matt and I put money out to visit (not to mention the priceless value of having people watch the girls for the weekend). I didn't want to mess up and disappoint myself and everyone cheering me on (and yes my rational mind know that NO ONE would be disappointed in me except for me, but anxiety is unfortunately not in the rational part of my brain).

But, I did it! And I did it faster and with a pretty strong finish, which is definitely a new thing for me as it was the first time I have not had a medic come ask me if I am ok after grabbing my medal. I am proud of myself and so thankful for finding running and all of the benefits and people that come along with it. And, as soon as I got done, it meant more than 24 hours alone with the love of my life, in a really awesome city, even if I couldn't walk down stairs while we explored.

Thanks, Chicago, and everyone that got me there and over that finish line. See you in the slow running lane for the next couple of weeks :)






Comments

Unknown said…
I’m so proud of you. You faced your anxiety and put it in time out while running a difficult marathon. You are a Legend my friend. 😘

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart