Skip to main content

To the best year yet!

It's almost 2009! Like most people, these last few days of the year leave me time to reflect back on where I was last year, and where I would like to be next year. It also gives me time to be thankful for the experiences I have had, and I think that '08 may go down as the best and biggest experiences for me yet.
Last year I had just started at the Treatment Center, my first big girl job since finishing grad school. I was just beginning to figure out how to balance a career, a social life, and my own needs and dreams. I had a great support network of friends here and afar. I was single, but no longer as broken, and much more open to the idea of not being single any longer; unfortunately I was still unable to meet anyone that I wanted to give that up for. I was looking forward to '08 for what it would bring professionally, but also still hoping and praying for what it might bring me personally.
This year I am in my second big girl job, after moving on from the Treatment Center into a position that I felt would be more beneficial to my long-term goals. I am thinking more in the long-term than I ever have - I have started to think about 401k options, mortgages and babies, and where these things fit into my future. I am still surrounded by a great support network of friends, and feel closer than ever to some of them after a year of ups and downs and times of need when you see who your truest, bluest friends really are, the ones that will be there for 401ks and mortgages and babies, but also right next to me when the clock strikes midnight tomorrow night. Finally, and obviously, I have met the person that I have hoped and prayed for, and been surprised at how much more than that this person is. I have found my best friend, my lover, my rock, my everything. He's helped me to continue to grow into the woman that I want to be, and has made me a better person for it. He supports me and my crazy notions of saving the world, and he believes in me for who I am and what I fight for. Our relationship is unexplainable in it's genuineness and beauty, and I thank God for it every day.

Looking forward, I'm excited to see what the New Year will bring. I'm not necessarily one to make resolutions, as I'm more prone to call them goals and keep evolving them throughout the year, but if I were to make a list, it might look something like this:
1. Like most people, it's time to get my ass back to the gym! Not just to take off the proof of my great holiday baking skills, but I am also going to take indoor cycling classes in preparation for the 50 mile Hub on Wheels this Fall and I want to get back into my regular yoga schedule, which is my saving grace after stressful days with my clients.
2. Continue to volunteer project lead at least twice a month with Boston Cares, and encourage my friends to come with me and find projects that they are passionate about too. Hopefully I can get back to New Orleans at some point in '09, either with Boston Cares or independently.
3. Keep working on finding a balance between career, friends, Matty, self and faith. These are all things that make me whole, and I need to ensure that I am balancing everything and paying attention when certain areas need more attention than others. This is a hard one, but I am slowly getting better at it.
4. Solidifying my dreams - the mortgage, the savings account, the trip to Turks and Caicos - these are all things that I want and can do, but I need to make realistic plans and goals to attain them.
5. Continue to strive to be the best friend, girlfriend (hopefully more, ahem), daughter, project leader, case manager, granddaughter, Catholic, dancer, etc., etc. that I can possibly be.

This year has been so incredible, and I can't express how blessed I feel to have had such wonderful experiences and to share my life story with such amazing characters. On the heels of one of my best Christmases yet, I hope you all have a safe, healthy and happy 2009.

XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart