Skip to main content

Diva Dash-ed

Oh my gosh, today was SO much fun. I did the Shape Diva Dash, which I had been defining as a "really easy, girly version of the Tough Mudder" and kind of selling myself short on how tough it was going to be. It was definitely, absolutely in no way as crazy as the Mudder, Spartan or Warrior, but it was a challenge and was super, super fun.

I did two things I had never done today: trail running and obstacles, and it turns out I really enjoy them. I feel like trail running might end in a broken ankle for me based on the ease of tripping over nature when doing so, but I still want to try and do it once in a while. This is a pretty big deal considering I am not a huge fan of nature and am pretty much the most clumsy 5'10" lady ever. But considering that a couple of years ago I would have laughed at anyone who suggested doing what I did today, or even me being a runner. I feel like all bets are off. I mean, I am pretty much watching football while Matty sleeps on the floor right now even though I could technically put Keeping up with the Kardashians on. WHO AM I?!?!

A really great part of today was getting to do it with Kate; she is the only person aside from Matty that I have run with and we do yoga every week together, so I feel totally unembarrassed and in sync with her and we always check in with each other and keep a pace that is good for both of us. She is much more bad ass than I am (she is a Mudder and has done at least two centuries) but she never makes me feel like a woos and today we got to kick some serious ass together, finishing the 5k obstacle run in just 41 minutes. We would have been faster too, if not for the slow pokes ahead of us. Next time we are going to be first to leave the corral so we can smoke those bitches! My other bestie Kendra also kicked major ass and completed the Dash; Maddie and I got to watch her finish and I was so proud of her as she climbed that last wall of ropes and sprinted towards the finish line!

The ladies and I at the finish line!
Post race stretching/social networking.
This week has been a rough one. even today our seeming bad luck streak kept up with us and made me feel like pulling my hair out and crying "WHY ME!?!" but this afternoon/evening was really just what I needed to end the streak. After the ladies (and our cheerleader dudes) had scored all of the free stuff we could from the post-race party we headed to one of my favorite places to eat fried foods, Boston Beer Works (well, actually we went to to Hingham one). We sat outside with the baby and my friend's dog, ate great food, drank beers and had lots of laughs. I always say it, because it is always true, that I have the best friends in the world. The crew I was with tonight are so much like family to me, Matty and the baby, and I thank God for their love and friendship all the time.
After dinner I went on a mini shopping spree at Old Navy and ended up scoring the cutest horseshoe top that is totally work appropriate, as well as some good basics (tanks, cardigans) and an awesome new purse/diaper bag.
Then I got to come home, give Madeleine a tubbie, play and cuddle with her and put my tired feet up after a long day of Dash-ing. This week may have been a bit rough, but days like this are so much more common, which is what I always try to remember when I feel overwhelmed by the other stuff.

This baby LOVES her Godmama Kendra!
Tomorrow I am taking a friend to Ikea (he promised me meatballs; how can I say no?) and making Matty some good food so he can watch football and be thanked by me for being such an awesome cheerleader/complete running inspiration. The work week will only be three days, but it is going to be jam packed for me so I want to get everything ready (baby's food made, outfits ready to go, sleep!). Then we get to have a date night out on our wedding anniversary before heading to Philly for a few days! SO excited!!

Hope your weekend is lovely thus far!



PS. If you ever go to Beer Works, I highly recommend signing up for their VIP Program. They give you $10 each month, with an extra $10 on your birthday, just for having the card! That's $120 in delicious food and beers each year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart