Skip to main content

Currently, Marathon Edition

My trio at Madeleine's first Red Sox game this weekend!
Watching: the 117th Boston Marathon. On my computer. At work. Whomp, whomp.
I am stuck at work on Marathon Monday for the first time in many years and am really sad that I am not outside with Matty and Maddie and all our friends cheering the runners on. This is the first Marathon that Matty hasn't run in a couple of years and the first since I have started running my own races, so I am really disappointed that I don't get to watch it in person, but there has been a lot of realization that I have to grow up and accept that I am a leader in this new position and need to suck it up once in a while.
But why did it have to be so nice out today? Waaaah!


Listening to: Lately I have been trying to play music that Maddie likes to dance to, which is usually anything, though she does show a strong preference for Latin music (not sure where she gets that from!). If you ask her to "dance, dance" she stops what she is doing to shake her diaper butt, and it may just be the cutest thing in the whole world. She is starting music classes with Groovy Baby in a couple of weeks and I know that she is going to have so much fun playing with instruments and dancing along to the music - cannot wait!

Planning: Now that I have started my new job and we have a new budget in place we are really trying to start navigating the insane sea that is buying a house. We have gotten a ton of advice and suggestions from friends and we really appreciate it all; keep it coming, guys! We lack the ability to have a down payment right now, but we are going to try and start saving and keep our fingers crossed for one of those fancy first-time home buyer loans that you don't have to have such a huge amount saved up for.
It is nice that the idea of buying a house is something we can talk about as a more realistic and less anxiety-producing idea and hopefully is something that can really start to take shape in the next year. I am sure there will be lots more to come on this front, but thanks again to everyone who has been helping educate us on this!

Thinking about: How poorly I deal with change. This has always been a flaw of mine; change tends to produce so much anxiety and make me feel so off-kilter, even if it is good change, and I kind of hate it. The change in jobs has been so hard on me and even though I know it was for the better - I am in leadership now, I make more money, I am working alongside women that are really great at what they do - I cannot help but really be mourning my last position. I had so much fun working with the people I worked with and had been there so long that I was able to do almost anything, including being my class-clown self. I know that I am going to get used to the newness of this and that I will find my groove, but I just wish my heart would believe that and catch up with my head!

Reading: Another change with my new job has meant that I take the T less and therefore there has been a cut into my reading time, but luckily we cancelled some of our cable in order to save money and spend less time glued to the tube like zombies, so I am actually spending some time in the evenings tackling my HUGE pile of books from the library. Currently I am reading A Confederacy of Dunces and SantaLand Diaries as well as some random books on toddlers (no, I cannot just read one book at a time). I am really looking forward to our plane ride to San Diego and banking on Maddie doing some good plane-sleeping so I can make a dent in the rest of the books I have waiting for me.

Making me happy: My cute new bangs, watching Madeleine learn and grow every single day, the thought of getting to be with my whole family in San Diego next week, my commitment to freshly cleaned sheets every Sunday night, and knowing that I will be out of work in a few hours and spending time with my wonderful husband and our sweet little girl, even if I don't get to be cheering with them right now.


Happy Marathon Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart