Skip to main content

Moms (mine, not Maddie's)

Hey guys! I've been a little quiet on the interwebs this week because my Mom is in town and we have been so busy having fun and spending all the time we can together in the short time that we get to be together.

Mom is taking care of Maddie while our nanny is having a well-deserved week off, allowing Matty and I to save our vacation days and Mom to have some solo bonding time with the tot. I am a little jealous of all the fun those two are having, but it is so good for them to have this time and to create these memories, and I got to come home to homemade spaghetti Tuesday and get go browse Target after work tonight, so I still get a lot of the bonus of having Mom here. Not to mention the fact that Mom took me shopping on Newbury Street while the tot was kind enough to snooze the whole time. I so rarely spend money on myself these days, so it was darn nice to be spoiled (thanks Mommy!).

I cannot even imagine how different our lives would be if we lived in the same state, or even the same time zone, and while it sucks the majority of the time, I am thankful that we see each other so often and that we still manage to talk (or text, or Skype) every day. I have always been incredibly close to my Mom, and despite the usual bumps and ups and downs that come with a mother/daughter relationship, I would have to say that having Maddie has allowed us to be even closer. I get to understand the whole parent/child relationship a lot better and my pursuit of more patience as a mama spills over into having more patience as a daughter.

I have lots of cute pics from this week, with more to come, and I promise to share a few soon! But until then, check out this kid. My goodness she melts my heart!

Waving at people, waiting to take a boat to George's Island.

Note the little Hello Kitty necklace, because she wanted to be like Mama. Swoon.

In other news,  I have been getting a little better at my personal balancing act, getting some good runs in (even one with Mom!), spending some time alone at night with Matty since a certain tiny person has finally been adjusting to her new bed situation and acknowledging and working on my anxiety instead of just ignoring it and letting it bring me down. I really want to do a blog series about my anxiety, and have even written a few words of it, but I am waiting for the right time to sit down and put finger to keyboard.

It has been a gorgeous week in New England and this weather is getting me a little too excited for fall, especially since I plan on getting at least two or three more beach trips in before putting the always-packed beach bag away for the season.

I will save you the thoughts of apple picking, pumpkin beers and sweaters, but they are coming and I am sure to dedicate too many blogs to them.

I added another tab at the top of my blog with the races that I have done, the ones I am scheduled to do, and the ones that are on my radar, since they are starting to add up!

Happy Thursday, y'all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Quarantine Diaries//The Good Stuff

Welllllll, I guess this is what I get for never getting around to writing that blog about the Disney Cruise we went on, because we are going straight from talking about sober January to um, a very different situation in...what month is it again? Let's get to it. Mondays in quarantine tend to be hard for me; not that I was a big fan of them before, but something about being stuck at home to work, school, parent, exercise, eat (you know all those things we used to do outside the home) just makes Mondays suck extra. While Friday is like a celebration of another week down, maybe another week closer to being on the other side of this, here comes Monday feeling like a daunting reminder that we are still very deep in this.  I have so many thoughts, so many feelings and so many emotions, and coming here to write things down is going to be a part of my routine again, because someday I want to look back at this and be proud of how we handled things, happy about being through it and th