Skip to main content

The Break Up

My future Banksy.
I have to admit something: I am in an unhealthy relationship that causes me to lose sleep, be less productive and makes me like myself a little less. So this week I decided to end it, a relationship that has lasted half of my life and given me (what I thought) were a lot of good memories. This week, I broke up with my snooze button.
I know, devastating, right? Those sweet 9 minute increments in my alarm are gone. No longer an option. A thing of the past.
It is day two and I am feeling like I can keep going. I can, right?
See, the thing is, I abuse the snooze button. I will hit that bitch for an hour, even more, because I think it is allowing me to get more sleep, but I know it's not. Then when I wake up I just feel tired and guilty for missing my morning run, having to rush around or not getting my usual morning snuggles and Sesame Street time in with Maddie. It was starting to get out of control, so with my first marathon only a month and a half away and my training needing to stay on track, I broke up with snooze.
I just hope I don't rebound with my old mistress "go to bed with make-up on". She's a real temptress, that one.

I am also cautiously optimistic that Maddie has really settled into her toddler bed and back into a good sleep schedule; she only managed to get into our bed once this week and that wasn't even until 4am! While I loved everything about co-sleeping and I sometimes like a good cuddly nap with her, most of the time she resembles a Tasmanian devil intent on kicking my throat like some sort of Mortal Kombat character, so the fact that she is enjoying her bed and getting good sleep in it might be pretty helpful for my breakup with the snooze button. Everything in relation to everything else, right? Next step, potty training!

Maddie Hammers, sleeping ninja kicker extraordinaire.

Matty starts school next week so we are going to spend the weekend doing a whole lot of organizing around the house to make the upcoming semester as stress free as possible. We have a toddler table and chairs to paint and loads of clothes and toys to be archived until baby number two is created. It amazes me the amount of clothes my little lady has amassed and even though I get super sad to put them away, there is no reason to wear them out and have her wearing ill-fitting clothes just because I am nostalgic. If our next spawn is a boy, we are going to have a lot of shopping to do, or someone is going to have to be super gender carefree about the color pink!

A little boy could totally rock the pink polo :)
We are also going to take Maddie to see the new carousel on the Rose Kennedy Greenway (opening this weekend!), do a little lunching in the North End and hopefully a little bit of relaxing since we get a whole three days without a ridiculous amount of plans crammed into our iCals. I am looking forward to actually spending some time around the house, finishing one of the books I am reading and maybe, just maybe, even sleeping in one day - no snooze button required!

I have not been doing so well with my goal to meditate more, but I did have another reiki session this week and I am attending a meditation session and talk by Noah Levine tonight. I am hoping that will provide the final inspiration to attempt a daily practice or some good tips on making it more of a priority. Last weekend I ran 18 miles and this weekend I am going for 19; when I was on my long run Sunday it was literally the first time since I started training where I actually believed that I can run a marathon and not curl up and die somewhere in the gutter around mile 15. Progress!

Happy three day weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart