Skip to main content

Currently, October Edition

I guess these have become a monthly routine for me; I really enjoy reading them on other blogger's pages and hope that you get some ideas from mine!

Watching
Maddie has been very interested in watching Disney movies lately, which is a-okay with me! We have a lot of the classics on DVD but I am finding that I want to have them all so she can grow up watching them just like I did. She will take one off the shelf (usually Nemo or Cars) and bring it to me and point at the Xbox (our method for playing DVDs). It kind of melts my heart. We tend to only have the tv on in the morning for news and PBS and at night after tubbie time, so lately the Disney viewing has been a family affair; Maddie and I even watched Bambi the other night and she was cracking up at the silly scene on the ice pond. So cute! I cannot wait to take her to Disneyworld and Disneyland in a couple of years; she will totally know who the characters are and really get to enjoy the magical experience along side this overgrown Disney kid!

Listening To
I made a pretty awesome playlist for my marathon and which I plan on using for my runs for a while considering it is over five hours of music and so totally random, from The Animals to Aretha to AC/DC and back. I have also been enjoying the new iTunes radio; I made a Dead Milkmen station and it plays some really awesome old punk rock and ska, which was our soundtrack coming home from the Cape last weekend. Nothing like very quietly rocking out to The Specials as your toddler sleeps in the back seat.

Planing
Still going strong on Maddie's second birthday party! My amazing culinary master AIL has finalized a really awesome menu, I ordered invitations today and tomorrow the little one and I are going to go start gathering the decorations and supplies that I have planned out. Having a kiddo that is into trains is so much fun and has made for a really fun Pinterest board to plan for her party. We are trying to get her excited and keep talking about her party and today she was saying "friends" after I told her how all her friends were going to come over to eat and have fun with her. Too cute.

Thinking About
How badly we want to buy a house. I really hope that everything falls into place with fixing our credit and paying down debt in the spring so that by this time next year we can be homeowners. I feel like there are certain things that I want to wait for (like baby number two) until we know that we are going to be in our own home and I just want it to happen. It is by far the most terrifying journey that we have taken and there are a million and one things that I have no idea about (property tax, huh?) but I am confident that team O'Shea will be victorious and things will happen just as they should.

Reading
I just finished The Talk Funny Girl and am currently plowing through Eleanor and Park in the hopes of finishing it before it is due back at the library. Both of these books are about young women with super shitty childhoods so they are  not the most uplifting reads, but there is a theme of resiliency, hope and kindness of others woven throughout that has made them both really great reads. Being a parent has made me super sensitive to stories like these and wanting to give Maddie all of the love and stability possible is pretty much my life's driving force, but I know that no matter what as long as I raise her to be confident and kind I will have done my job.

Making Me Happy
The weekend is here and it looks as though I am going to get to see all three of my best friends before Monday gets here! Amy is coming from NoHo tomorrow to hang out with a bunch of us Dot Rats and then I am taking her on a belated birthday dinner date in the North End. I cannot wait to eat and drink without having to pick stuff up off the floor (well, unless we drink too much wine) and get to talk about life and all that great stuff that best friends talk about. I am hoping to go for a little run tomorrow morning, get some shopping and cleaning done and then it will be friend central. Sunday we have Maddie's music class, church and hopefully some apple and pumpkin picking if a certain husband of mine is feeling less crappy than he felt this morning.

Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart