Skip to main content

Dry



I fell on the wagon. That's right, I am one floor punch from being straightedge, and I have the 'roid rage to prove it. Before you clear the date for my next birthday party, let me explain.
In the few months leading up to my Reno trip and my birthday I had a whole lot of nothing going on - the weather was shitty, people were hibernating, and there wasn't a whole lot to do that was fun besides eat and drink. Lucky for me (or not, as may be explained), I live with one of the best cooks I know, and have an ID that says I can drink at any of the bars I can slowly, fully tummy walk to in less time than it takes for my heart rate to reach that of a three-toed sloth's. People, I will admit it right here, I got a little....fat. I know, I know what you are all going to say "you look fine", "you've gained your nesting weight" (thanks Mom), "you're a riot grrl - you don't conform to the bullshit societal pressures that the patriarch puts on woman and their bodies" (thanks brain). Unfortunately, these things are irrelevant. I am not at all where I want to be with my weight, and I have decided to change that as quickly and permanently as possible.
First things first, skinny ass gross girls can continue to "suck my left one" (thanks Kathleen Hanna). I am in no way, shape, or form attempting to look like a prepubescent boy or heroine addict. Fuck all that. What I am trying to do is be as healthy and happy as I can be with myself. I want to be able to bang out the 50 miles at Hub On Wheels this year, I want to be able to do downward dog for a full commercial break, I want to avoid the diabetes and heart problems that have plagued my dear, plump grandparents. And, gosh darn it, I want to look fly as fuck walking down that aisle next September, and I want to be ready to carry a little O'Shea shortly thereafter, without losing said fly shape 9 months later.
So, I am busting my ass to make it happen. I have an awesome personal trainer who kicks my ass once a week in routines that she makes sure I can do without her. I hit the gym as much as possible, especially after work when I need to de-stress oh so badly. I am using the Lose It! app on my iPhone and keeping track of everything that I put in my mouth, and am trying to put more fruits and veggies and whole grains in said mouth. And, for the sake of losing the 1st ten pounds so that Lauren (my trainer) and I can go celebrate with oysters and margaritas the East Coast Grille....I have stopped consuming alcohol! No wine, no beer, no vodka tonics, nothing! I am dry as a bone, and despite the weird hyperness and pseudo aggression....I am feeling pretty good about it. I am also down 3 lbs from last weekend, and did not wake up with a hangover despite being at the Sil with Matty and Craig until 1am last night.
So, there it is folks, the unthinkable has happened. It's a pretty good test of will power for me, and it's relieving to know that I can still go out and have fun with my ice water in hand, since I read on a bathroom wall that pregnancy and PBR don't mix. In a couple of years, my fly body will be making a little O'Shea, and I'll be dammed if I am staying home eating cupcakes for the whole 9 months. Until then, I am going to keep pushing myself to be healthier and stronger and in the best shape I can be in. So far, it has been great, despite the large amounts of Advil being consumed in my home (Matty is also getting his gym on quite frequently). Most noticeably right out of the gates, is that getting so much exercise has been awesome for my mood and has lowered my anxiety while also helping me sleep like a baby at night. Even though I'm not in my skinny jeans, that's a pretty good start.
To be continued!

XoXo

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for being someone who understands that a decision to -get into shape- is not a validation of Kate Moss.

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart