Skip to main content

Home Means Nevada

Home means the hills, home means the sage and pine...and also a crap ton of snow that I was trying to avoid. Yep, I left freezing Boston for Reno, where the highs were hitting the 60's and flew right into a snow storm and Facebook posts from home about the Spring-like weather. Not cool Mother Nature, not cool. I take back all of the defending of you that I did earlier this winter. All of it.

The thing about snow in Reno versus snow in Boston is that Reno snow actually messes up my plans; I can't just hop on the T and grumble about the two block walk to my destination, no, here in Reno people actually have to drive long distances past flipped over cars and risk not getting to pass between here and Sacramento when Donner Pass closes and have to shovel their own sidewalks. I have become so spoiled in my big city that I almost forgot all about these legitimate reasons to hate the snow.

However, since I am little miss sunshine, I have found the silver lining and am enjoying my time regardless of my Mom insisting that I open the door and let the dogs out (the draft is cold mother!). I spent my first night here with a bunch of the people that actually make me happy to be back back in the Biggest Little City and have partaken in many of my favorite Reno-centric activities: all you can eat sushi, talking shit about the good ol' days and going to Del Taco in elastic waistband pants and making my Mom buy me not one but two half pound red burritos. Ahh home. All of the fears that I had about being back, such as feeling anxious about the past and memories and such, don't seem to be real anymore. I guess the very fact that I have this wonderful life filled with an amazing husband, career, friends, volunteering and healthy living makes it possible for me to be here in Reno and just truly enjoy my time and the people and places that I love here. It's kind of wonderful.



I do of course miss the ever living hell out of my husband, but thankfully technology has been very cooperative and he hasn't had to miss out on anything stupid my Dad has said or any complete descriptions of the food I have been eating. He also gets to see live updates of my three favorite little bastards (this one being my favorite):




Isn't he the cutest?



Today I am going to see The Wrong Side of Reno: Three Decades of Punk and Hardcore in the Biggest Little City at the Nevada Museum of Art. I am so glad that I get to see this before it is over, and I get to see one of its co-creators on Monday (hi Jeanne!). I am also going to check off some of my must-eats (Pneumatic and Miguel's, I am looking at you) and, hopefully, going to see more of my must-see friends, as long as this cursed snow doesn't make it too difficult. Tomorrow my Mom and Grandma and I are going to have a spa day and be ladies who lunch and I am going to take Grandma to Mass, which is always a really lovely thing that we do together since she had such a huge influence on my decision to become a full Catholic. And then Sunday Mom and I are off the sunny San Diego!! I called my Grandma down there last night just to make sure it would be over 30 degrees and she was sure that it has only snowed once in the past decade, which she confirmed by telling me that the three days I am there are supposed to be sunny and close to 70. Can.Not.Wait.



Hopefully everything is as fun as I am planning on and that I am able to remain my composure when asked about how my wonderful, smart, handsome husband is doing (I can't help but gush, but really, he is amazing) and not cry about how much I miss him and his bearded face. I also hope that I am not up at 4:21am again tomorrow to blog; I love you blog, but I just want to sleep in!



Here's to sunny thoughts!

XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart