Skip to main content

Spring Forward

Check out how cute my bed mates are. This is why it is so hard to get up in the mornings...aside from the cold and the gym and all those other gross things.

Have you been outside today? It is like, above freezing, crazy! I don't want to get too excited, but I really hope this means that Spring isn't too, too far away. I feel like it has been Winter forever. We went on our honeymoon and came home and then it was just cold...for months...did I mention that Saturday is our 6 month wedding anniversary! Sweet, no? That also means that it has been cold for 6 months. Ugh.

This weekend my poor Matty had to work on Saturday, after he ran 18 miles, which left me time to get my nails done and go to Spin class and watch 90210 while I felt sad for him having to be at work. I tried to cheer him up by making this awesome bacon covered meat loaf though:



I think he liked it, okay, I know he did. It had jalapenos in it! (and it made for a darn good sandwich last night). After we had our meatloaf we went to the Middle East to see Murder by Death and drink cheap beer. I haven't imbibed much since I have been home from Reno, so needless to say the 4 or so tallboys of PBR that I had left me feeling a little icky come Sunday morning. I thought that I was going to have to read at Mass for the first Sunday Mass with our new priest, but thankfully I was wrong and just got to be there and listen. Our new priest seems really awesome; he knows he has his work cut out for him by being in charge of three parishes, but he is so positive about everything, and he even had the kids come up to the altar during the "Our Father" which is something that I have only seen done in other parishes where they actually acknowledge children more than to scowl at them when they make a peep during Mass. I hope this is a sign of what is to come, and I plan on telling him how much that touched me when we get to sit down and chat in a couple of weeks once he is settled.

After Mass we went to the Playwright to have brunch with the cutest cheeky baby Quincy and his parents and after two bloody marys and the feeling of being human, Matty and I were off to go look at furniture, cycling shoes and running shoes that we want to get soon. We are finally starting to catch up financially and it feels so awesome. Between the two of us (well, Matty really) we have a pretty good income for two young adults, but we have been so overburdened with debt and catching up and the whole wedding thing so we haven't really been able to live like we have an income at all. Thankfully that is all starting to change and we are hoping to even get some money back from our taxes and we are paying off our truck this month!! So excited to not have a car payment...at least until this Winter when we will hopefully need a kid friendly vehicle.

We ended our day of driving around making wish lists with chips and curry at the Boyne, which is definitely the best cure for a hangover (and those two Noble Pils helped too) and a night of Shameless and The Shield on the couch. This morning the fun was up, and I was at the gym to start my first day of 5k training. I know, I know 5k is 3.14 miles and is not far, especially when you consider that Matty is running 9 times this far next month, but I hate running and am no good at it, so it's a big deal. I tried out the running thing when Matty first started training for the triathlon that he did last Summer, but was terrible at it and (because) I had a terrible attitude about the whole thing. Now that I spend at least 5 days a week in the gym and am in good shape, I really wanted to give it another try and challenge myself to something that I have never done. I also like the fact that you can run anywhere - on vacation, in the Arboretum, anywhere - and I can do it with Matty, much like cycling, which makes anything more enjoyable to have your best friend there too. So I am using the Hal Higdon training schedule and will hopefully be 5k ready just in time for my birthday and being at Disney World, where I plan on running the Disney Princess Half Marathon next February. Oh come on, you knew there had to be an ulterior motive with this running business, didn't you? Prince Charming will be there, and all of the Princesses, I can't not do it! I am sure there will be lots of updates about all this running stuff, and in the mean time you should check out how awesome my husband is doing with his marathon training and read about getting to meet the amazing woman that he is running for.

I really need to start posting more because I feel like I always need to talk about twenty million things each time I blog. Just two more tidbits, I promise.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras and I am missing New Orleans like the dickens. I am reading this beautiful novel on my new Kindle (thanks Grandparents!) and it makes me want to be down South drinking sweet tea and eating craw fish. Since I can't be there until later in the year, Matty and I are going to Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen to try their Cajun menu, listen to some (real, ie. not white) jazz and drink some sazerac tomorrow night. Then it is Lent and I am beginning 40 days of not telling a lie. Not that I am a liar, but sometimes I lie about stupid things, mostly to avoid going out when I want to stay home and snuggle the cat or to avoid hurting someones feelings, but a lie is a lie and I want to try and kick the habit, so if you really want to know if your jeans make your butt looks big or your hair color compliments your eyes, come see me, and please don't hate me!

Lastly, I am a Big Sister now, and it is absolutely amazing. H and I spent two hours at the Boston Public Library looking at paintings and reading books and talking about our lives and it was awesome. She is coming over on Friday so I can teach her how to throw down in the kitchen and make chocolate chip cookies and brownies from scratch. I cannot wait!

Okay, I am going to get back to work now. Thanks for sticking around.

XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart