Skip to main content

Home Depot

I used to loooooathe going to Home Depot, mostly because it meant that my parents were dragging me there before asking me to slave, er work with them all day doing some ridiculous project like staining the flipping porch, including the underneath where all the spiders lived, on a beautiful summer day when I would rather have been doing anything else at all. Anything. Home Depot mostly made me feel dread, all hardware stores did really, even if they happened to have the added perk of free popcorn or a hot dog cart because, let's face it, one hot dog ain't gonna erase an afternoon of being under the porch with a paintbrush and a black widow in your hair.
But now....sorry if you think I am going to say how much I love Home Depot and that I decided to do the baby's room in a lovely bright orange and don't even mind that the Watertown store doesn't have a snack bar (because I do) but...I don't hate it! Last night I was even glad to be there, which was probably due to the Martha Stewart Christmas decorations they had out as well as the lack of other customers to make it take longer than the 10-15 minutes I can usually stand being in there. Also, we (read: Matty) were getting stuff for our washer and dryer that we finally procured off of Craigslist, getting us one step closer to being able to do laundry at home, for free. I am more excited than one should be about having a washer and dryer, but with the baby (read: poop machine) on her way, being able to do laundry in the basement while the rest of my world continues upstairs is going to be awesome, and not having to put quarters in it or wait for someone's underwear who aren't mine or my husband's to be taken out so I can put my stuff in...priceless (or $275 plus parts). Clean clothes and towels and rugs and things - here we come! Yeehaw!

Matty is going to tackle that whole- machine/cords/things I can't listen to without having my eyes glaze over- project tonight, while I am going to make cous cous stuffed bell peppers and fill out paperwork to have my student loans deferred while I am out on maternity leave, since that is right around the corner now. Technically Butterball could be here in as soon as 4 weeks and as far away as 8 weeks, but either way, that's a lot sooner than the thirty some odd weeks ago that we found out she was coming to join the family! I am feeling juuuuust about as prepared as I can be for something that is well, not very predictable in the least bit, at all. But, I feel good and calm and nothing but a lot of happy anticipation (and a little curious about how much of a trooper I am going to be during labor). We have a car, we have a washer and dryer, we got ourselves a very nice and very accessible pediatrician today; the last thing I have to do is have the conversation with my boss about my leave and my post-leave plans. Of course, I am saving one of the biggest things for last, but hey, it is what it is. I am lucky to have a wonderful and supportive organization that I work for and they have been nothing but completely flexible and awesome my entire pregnancy, so I have a hunch things will go well.

Matty is going on a camping trip this weekend, so I am going to host the ladies for a pajama party sleep over - pizza, bad movies, gossip and my favorite ladies - so excited! On top of that loveliness, I am also getting a facial and a prenatal massage at Elizabeth Grady on Sunday - pretty much an amazing pre-baby weekend is about to be had!

I hope you too have an amazing weekend too, and I hope that my husband does not get frostbite, eaten by an animal, or lost and have to cut off his arm and eat the other pioneers in his wagon circle.

XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart