Skip to main content

Left on Boylston

Saturday was a gorgeous day in Boston; Matty and I woke up early, took Maddie in the jogging stroller and ran along the beach in Southie in preparation for our half marathon on Sunday. Just a little warm up to get us ready for the race; stretch our legs and our lungs and get us excited to run our first race together.

I had decided earlier that week that I wanted to go down to Copley  that afternoon to load up on running fuel at Marathon Sports, get my free birthday Pinkberry, hit up a food truck and otherwise spread some money around the area devastated by the bombings on Marathon Monday. It was also a trip of healing for me, to see the memorial set up and smile at some fellow Bostonians and otherwise work on life and my city getting back to normal. I had not been to Copley Square since the Saturday before the Marathon and it's one of my favorite spots to walk around on a beautiful day such as we were having.

We found a parking spot (!!) near the Public Garden, strapped Maddie in her stroller and made our way down Newbury before hopping on to Boylston right across from Trinity Church and the memorial that the community has set up. We walked straight to Marathon Sports to get our purchases taken care of and right as I turned to walk in the door it hit me. The immense grief, the pain, the suffering; it had all occurred right there. As I walked in the store and headed towards the rack I needed I overheard a customer thanking one of the staff for being there. Then she hugged him and started crying. I realized that I could no longer pretend I was just running an errand; this was so much more than that. I had readied my camera to take some pictures of the memorials, the Boston Strong signs, the musicians who gathered to play on the sidewalks, still stained with blood and debris despite best efforts to scrub the bad away, but I found that I could not take any pictures. I was anxious and vulnerable about people gawking and as I stood in the spot where the young boy who lived down the street from me was killed I lost it. I cried. I hurt. I mourned. I was both guilty and thankful as I walked past the spot I stood in last year with my own child, feet from where the first bomb went off. I thought of all of the people and the fear that broke out as the explosions occurred and the incredible reaction of first responders, strangers and people from all over the world that showed their love for Boston that day and every day since then.

And I thanked God for my family, my city and my ability to get up the next day and run 13.1 miles for all of those who will never run again. And then we did what everyone should do: we enjoyed our wonderful city.

Taco Truck!

Seriously delicious.

Reflecting at the Christian Science Pool.




Mama and Maddie



Boston Strong? You bet we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart