Skip to main content

Vacation!

Hi there! Just checking in from Martha's Vineyard where we are amidst our annual family vacation. It's just us three and my sis-in-law, her hubs and my sweet niece, which is less family than the past few years, but still plenty awesome. 
We've been spending our days at the beach, strolling through the little towns on the island and eating grilled things outside for dinner each night. The weather has been agreeable though a little too hot for a cottage with no AC and too much leather furniture (yuck) but I'm tan and wearing flip flops all the time, so I'll take it. 

Maddie has been enjoying the beach so much; she absolutely loves being in the water and will happily stay in until we have to drag her and her blue lips out. She hasn't been sleeping as well as she usually does while we are on vacation; a strong refusal to take a regular nap without some serious work has been the pattern, but it's so hot and light where her crib is that I can't help to sympathize with her. She's been going down at night like a champ and even though she's waking a little too early, it's still pretty good. She's had a blueberry muffin from the local bakery two mornings in a row and went to an awesome park with Dada while I ran this morning, so she's definitely feeling the fun of vacation. 
I went out for a 13 mile run today but only made it to 12 before my phone started dying and I ran into Dada walking a very unhappy Maddie. Good thing I've already done the Tough Mudder because carrying a fussy toddler for a mile and a half after running twelve made for one hell of an obstacle. Oh the life of a marathon training mama. It was a gorgeous run though, and I made it back before the marine layer burned off so it wasn't too hot, and 12 miles at the rate I've been enjoying food and beer is nothing short of miraculous. 

We've only been here since Saturday and have already managed to make it to Menemsha for oysters and lobster rolls, eaten while we watched the fishermen unload their hauls; had scoops from Mad Martha's in Edgartown and watched a lot of boats (Maddie can't get enough and yells out 'bo!' at each of them. 

Tomorrow I'm taking Maddie to story time at the local library, and am hoping to get in a short run and more beach time before dinner with our friend (and librarian at said library) in the evening. We are definitely enjoying all this time together and getting to watch Maddie interact with her cousin, as long as I don't dare try and hold her. Jealous kiddo! 
More pics off our camera to come once we are off this wonderful island! Sorry for the lack of captions too; I'm using blogger on my iPad and can't figure that out! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart