Skip to main content

Currently: First Trimester Edition

You guys, I am so excited that the cat is out of the bag about this bun in my oven so I can finally talk about it over here! The funny thing about second pregnancies is how much less emphasis there is on everything; the first time around it was all I thought about all the time and was SO amazing every time it crossed my mind. It is still amazing and wonderful and all those things now, but I have been there/done that/know what to expect and I am so busy chasing a toddler around that there is little time to lay around and eat golden grapes off a chaise lounge like the baby-making goddess I am.

I thought I would start with a little catch up of how this first trimester has been (the good and the bad!) as I approach the 12 week marks and things start getting real!

Currently...

Reading: I am still trying to work my way through  a book about the ballerina Alicia Markova that I first read about in Vogue. It is a really great book and such an interesting story but it is soooo long that I only get about 1/1,000,000th through on my subway commute and reading at night is, well, not a possibility since I can't even be bothered to be awake much past 9pm these days.

Eating: ALL THE THINGS! Now that I am feeling less crummy I am definitely eating more, though I find that stuffing myself immediately leads me to a bad place, so I have been trying to cut down my portions from their usual pre-pregnant huge amounts in order to avoid any gross feeling. Unlike my last pregnancy I have no food aversions so far (last time it was chicken on the bone that made me want to run and scream) though there are times when I see something that I would normally eat and think it is the worst idea ever. My previous craving for Subway turkey sandwiches is back in full swing though, so thank goodness there is one right across from my office!

Thinking About: Getting our new place painted and organized before this new little human comes home and we have to reorganize everything again! I still haven't painted Maddie's room and would really like to make better use of the huge closet that she has. I am hoping that cooler weather and a slowing down social calendar (someday) will mean more weekend days at home and time to focus on the important things like crown molding and throw pillows. I guess nesting comes earlier the second time around, just like the bump!

Listening: To my body, a lot. I am continuing to run and it is one heck of a humbling experience. I am not a fast runner by any means, but after my last marathon I finally started doing some speed work and was getting fast for me. I knew that we were going to be trying for another baby at some point so I didn't throw everything into it since I knew I would have to start over postpartum, but I was still making some progress. Those speedy miles are now long gone, and I really have to get over myself and just be glad that I am still dragging myself out of bed most mornings and putting those miles in, no matter how slow because this is about keeping that baby safe and healthy, not the number on my watch (which I quit wearing for a while to get back to listening to my body and not watching a pace). Yes, I am going to be that super pregnant woman running down the street bump out, and no, I do not want to hear about why I should be at home with my feet up. Pregnancy is not an excuse to be lazy or feed into that whole disability bullshit our culture spins :)

Watching: Preferably, the backs of my eye lids, but also a lot of Frozen (Maddie finally got around to being obsessed with it, especially the reindeer Sven). Last weekend at the grocery store Maddie busted into a mash up of 'Do You Want to Build a Snowman' and 'Frosty the Snowman', which was pretty epic. Other than that, I barely make it to Maddie's bedtime these days, so I watch what she watches in the 20 minutes between tubbie and books and then call it a night!

Loving: The fact that we are going to have a sweet, snuggly baby to bring home in 6 months! There seem to be a lot of pictures of babies going around on my Facebook feed lately and it is getting me pretty excited for those sweet newborn smells. I am also loving how Maddie is really starting to get into the idea of being a big sister; she kisses my belly and asks me how the baby feels and it really is just about the sweetest thing in the world. As an only child this is a totally foreign situation to me but I am thankful that I am going to give Maddie someone that will (hopefully) be a best friend for life.

I leave you with this sweet picture of Maddie snuggling her new Lady dog that she got as a gift in the mail the same day as her Lady and the Tramp DVD. So stoked to watch this a bunch of times this weekend :)
Happy Friday, y'all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart