Skip to main content

Ripping the Band Aid


It's been almost two months since I have had the time to come here and put words down, though I have done it in my head a million times, and I don't even really have the time today (I just really have a case of the Mondays).
Life is BUSY, but that is stating the obvious if you didn't just randomly stumble across this blog. A newborn, a toddler, a career, a marriage, friends, running, neighborhood involvement...it doesn't end and I love it, really, every single day I feel so lucky to have it all, even when I can barely spell my name or apply lipstick with a straight hand (hello, today).
Let's just use this blog as a little (big) catch up and then get back to regularly scheduled programming, shall we?

Annabel is a joy. She is so sweet and snuggly and smiley and I really just cannot get enough of her. She also does one thing that Maddie didn't do, which is sleep! Like, at night, when I want to sleep. We are cosleeping with her, as we did with Maddie, so she wakes up a couple of times a night, nurses and goes back to sleep. She wakes me up just by making little grunts, kicking her feet a bit and reaching for me. No tears from anyone and no walking up and down the hall trying to get her back to sleep. I am very aware that this could, and likely will, change at any moment, which is even more reason to enjoy it.

Madeleine is one hell of a big sister. She is also one hell of a three and a half year old. She is fiercely independent, opinionated, stubborn, irrational and funny beyond belief. And oooooh how she pushes my buttons and makes me strive and pray and strive some more to find patience and zen. It is both my favorite and least favorite age all at the same time and I can go from never wanting her to get older to thanking God that she will grow out of this, all within the same car ride. It has been a great lesson for us as parents to remember how we want to parent and supporting each other to make sure we can do it. There are lots of tap outs and nights of passing out minutes after she does from the sheer exhaustion of it all and yet I just try and remind myself that it is fleeting. She will not always be like this, for both the good and the bad, so remember the good and let the bad come and go with everyone still alive.

Work is a lot. I came back into the office after just 8 weeks out but was very connected the whole time so it really didn't feel like I was away and yet there is so very much to do. All the goals and ideas I had at the time of my promotion can now grow legs and start their own lives. It is exciting, exhausting and a bit overwhelming but I am happy for the opportunity to do all that I love to do and still be able to be home well before dinnertime.

Everything else is happening and that makes it great. Marriage and friends and running and being involved in the things I care about all still exist because I have an awesome husband who helps me to make them a priority and awesome friends who meet me halfway (and usually more) to spend time together, to watch the girls and to tell me I have a good hand on this parenting two with a career and commitment to wearing make up every day.

Hello, my name is Stefanie, and I kinda sorta got this. It's good to be back, blog!



Comments

Kerry Leitner said…
You got this!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart