Skip to main content

Currently 08.28

I kind of can't believe that a week has passed since my last Currently post...I swear I meant to post another blog in between! Oh well, enjoy! And let me know what you are up to!


Loving: The fact that this weekend is going to be so gorgeous! Matty, Maddie and I went to the beach this past Sunday and I was really quite settled with (what I thought was) the fact that it was going to be our last summer beach day. But alas, this weekend is going to be even warmer than last! I am hoping that we will either head up to Rockport or go visit Maddie's Grandpa on the Cape but I will be just as happy with another day on Nantasket...who cares, we will be on the beach!

Maddie loves going to the beach!
Reading: All of the summer issues of the magazines I have subscriptions to: Real Simple, Glamour, Shape, Food and Wine, Travel + Leisure. Yes, I get a ton of magazines in the mail; it used to be so I could take them to the beach and leisurely read them, but now I have chubby little thighs in a swim diaper keeping me entertained, so I have a lot of catching up to do. I am "in between" novels right now so I thought I would try and get caught up on my daily train travels before the September issues come out.
Speaking of the September issues, I am also slowly digesting the Fall Vogue, taking my time like I'm eating a creme brulee and soaking it in. I took it to the beach this weekend but didn't want to get sand/water/sunscreen/baby drool on it so I left it in the car. Yep, kind of a nut for this and the Martha Stewart Halloween issue!

Watching: Well, planning on watching The Hunger Games. Matty noticed that it is finally On Demand so I am just waiting for a night that I might make it pas 9:30 so we can watch it! I really liked the books, especially the first book and am excited to see how Hollywood translates it. I had every intention of seeing it in the theaters, but then a baby happened!
This is what happens when I try to stay up late.
 Thinking about: The people of New Orleans and the sad irony that Hurricane Issac is about to make landfall seven years after Katrina. This is definitely a lot less scary, but I feel like this time of year always makes me think of the dark stain in our history books and the way that our country completely fucked up in their response to Katrina. I also can't believe that it has been almost six years since the first time I went down there to volunteer. I was such a broken, fragile, young woman and that trip will forever mark a major shift in my life and the beginning of the best chapter so far. I was thinking today that if not for being in grad school I probably would have never come back to Boston, instead staying down there like so many volunteers turned NOLA residents. It makes me a little nostalgic, but had I not come back I would have never met Matty and would have never got to take him down there to volunteer and experience that amazing city. You're in my prayers, NOLA folks!

Anticipating: Our anniversary trip to Philly! We decided to be all responsible and crap and stay in the country for our anniversary trip this year (as opposed to going to Ireland like we had first planned). There are still some places on my American travel bucket list (DC, Austin, Memphis) so we decided to cross this one off since we can drive to it and use our Hilton Honors points to stay for a few days. I am SO excited to see the Mutter Museum and the Eastern State Penitentiary, eat a cheese steak with a Yeungling to wash it down and check out some awesome history!

So excited to see Philly! Actually, she is excited to be having lunch with her Godmama Amy who came to visit us in Boston this weekend!
 Wishing: A pile of money would magically appear so we could buy a home. Being a renter is fine and I love our apartment, but I am starting to long for a dishwasher and a lack of upstairs neighbors. I am meeting with a financial planner in a few weeks and hoping that she can help us get on track to saving and lessening our debt (damn you, credit cards) so we can make our homeowner dreams a reality before we decide to pop out another baby.

Making me happy: Our first delivery of Boston Organics! It came today and it was like Christmas opening that green bin! Matty made some of the corn on the grill tonight that we paired with some Old Bay seasoned shrimp skewers and some quinoa and goodness was it delicious! I packed a salad for lunch tomorrow with red leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes and sprouts and made Maddie a lunch of yogurt and fresh Maine blueberries. I love that they provide recipes with your delivery too! I am super excited to make Thai basil eggplant this week!
Yay Boston Organics!
 What about you? What are you up to? Leave a link to your own Currently post in the comments so I can see what is going on in your fabulous life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart