Skip to main content

Over the Weekend

I started using eye cream for the first time in my life about a week ago, as a preventative measure, you know? I get really dry skin around my eyes and figured that not only would I be helping to fix that situation but that I would also be tackling any wrinkles that may show up in ten years (shhh, I know, I know, don't ruin it for me). Last night as I was washing my make up off for bed I noticed that my eyes seem a little brighter and the dry skin is a lot better, making me feel pretty good about my purchase...fast forward nine hours when I am standing in front of the same mirror with bags the size and color of a body bag hanging out underneath there. Hell-o Monday! But hey, we had a good weekend and learned that even (especially) on a Sunday a late nap will definitely screw the kiddo's sleep schedule up and keep her awake way past the time that we want to be awake.

Never stop learning, people.

We started our weekend off by attending a beautiful wedding reception in Narragansett, RI at a venue called The Towers. Everything was beautiful - the bride, the tables, the food, the view, the cake pop that had cookie dough in it. The best part, aside from celebrating the newlyweds, was seeing a bunch of my HONO family and getting to celebrate that everyone has something super exciting going on in their lives - engagements, newlywed status, career changes, moves, marathon training (woo us!). I love those people so, so much and am always overwhelmed with happiness to think that we all met on a relief trip to New Orleans and will always have that experience at the core of our connection. We are truly a dynamic group of people, if I do say so myself, and I am blessed to call them my friends.

Love the anchors!
REALLY love this guy and getting dolled up with him.
 Matty and I didn't last long and headed back to Boston around 9pm to our wonderful sitter who had miraculously put the kiddo to bed without a bit of a fight and managed to keep her that way. I love how good she is for other people, it makes me feel a lot less stressed out about going out for a night now that she has the sleep demons mildly exorcised (let's just not talk about last night...).


Saturday morning we slept in a bit and then managed to take turns running 12 and 15 miles (the latter was me!), grocery shopped, made birthday cupcakes from scratch and then managed to get ourselves way out into the suburbs to celebrate Kendra's birthday. We even managed to get home and spend about 5 minutes on the couch together before we both passed out, dead tired.

Sunday morning we woke up and asked Maddie what she wanted for breakfast, so it was "pahcakes, pahcakes" for all!
Pancakes for breakfast!
No syrup? No problem! Nutella it is!
After breakfast it was off to music class so Dada could study in peace, then a quick stop back at home afterwards to start some laundry and guzzle some more coffee. Then Maddie and I were off again to spend a ladies day of shopping and lunching with our Jane at the Derby Street Shoppes in Hingham. We both got spoiled with new clothes and an awesome lunch at Legal C Bar. We walked into oyster fest, which meant I had an amazing oyster po-boy with only a slight twinge of guilt for poor Matty, slaving over his statistics homework. 
After we got home and I put Maddie down for a late nap (yep, this is where we went wrong) I decided to keep the shopping groove going and ran out to Target for some random purchases, including tights for my lovely new Gap dresses. After that I met up with Kendra and her friend for 5pm Mass, which was SO weird without a toddler climbing and chatting and waving at everyone. Even our priest said that he did not know what to do with me minus both Maddie and Matty. We ended the evening with quesadilla night (sorry, but Paula Deen knows how to make a really easy quesadilla if you have enough butter) and some episodes of Frozen Planet, which Maddie was actually totally into.

I would love to tell you how I put Maddie to bed, curled up with Matty and watched the series finale of Breaking Bad before getting a good night's sleep, but let me take you back to that late nap and a kid who would not fall asleep until past 10:30 and then proceeded to kick me in the throat for most of the night. And now I have to stay off the internet until I can watch Breaking Bad.
Ah, parenthood, that's some magical shit, isn't it?

Another ridiculously fun-filled O'Shea weekend in the books, and a pretty crazy week on the horizon. C'est la vie (or at least ours!).

XoXo

In the end, at least I had an oyster po-boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart