Skip to main content

My Sick Day with Maddie and Nemo

I wasn't feeling well yesterday. Like, at all. I got up early, showered and then picked up friends to give them a ride to the airport and somewhere in between all that my body told me to STOP. I got a terrible hot flash and wave of nausea and it all happened while driving in fast city traffic. Of course, since not feeling well isn't bad enough, my anxiety kicked in and by the time I had driven myself back home through side streets for fear of needing to pull over on the highway (again) I had ten panic attacks and had called our nanny to tell her to stay home. My plan was to get home, crawl into bed until Matty had to leave for work, and spend the rest of the day watching movies, snuggling with Maddie and drinking some Imodium and Xanax tea.

So, that is what we did. Later in the day, since I was feeling a little better and felt guilty about cooping the kid up with me, we went to the mall for Pinkberry, which is my cure for most things. She got to walk around, Mama got to get diapers at Target and we both had a good dose of Pinkberry, with her eating an entire small vanilla with all the berries all by herself and chatting with all the people who came and went while she did so.

Pinkberry is right across from the Disney store, which she has never been in, but that all changed yesterday. I was raised on Disney and am a huuuuge fan; my Mom collects Mickey and has since she was young and it was always a big part of my life. Matty, not so much, but I have shown him the magic and we even went to Disney World on our honeymoon! However, I have tried not to push things on Maddie and let her choose her own little preferences all on her own, but it must be in the genes, because she would watch Finding Nemo and Cars all day every day if we let her. 

Lately, she has started recognizing Mickey Mouse, which I think she associates with my Mom, and is kind of the sweetest thing ever. And as we left Pinkberry she spied with her little toddler eye a Mickey Mouse that just had to be picked up and hugged. And from that point on, the Disney Store had us.
Mickey got a lot of hugs and a tour of the store with Maddie.
Then she found her main man, Nemo and gave him all the kisses.
Then she found another Nemo and needed to make introductions.

Since I hadn't been in a Disney Store with a kiddo, I had no idea how fun it could be just to visit. Maddie and a store clerk danced and sang along to a video played on the big screen in the back and Maddie got little cardboard ears and a name tag for being Guest of Honor. It was so fun and got me even more excited for when we take her to an actual Disney park. They just know how to do it up for kids and she left the store with such a sweet smile...and of course a new Nemo stuffed animal. Lucky for Mama, they were having a sale to buy one and get one for a dollar, so there is also a Dorie hiding away for a rainy day surprise. We don't end up buying her a lot of toys since she gets so spoiled by all her relatives, so this was probably the best $20 I have spent on her in a long time given how excited she was to have him at home to snuggle with the rest of the afternoon.

She even shared her bananas with him before dinner.
And let him hang out while she watched her pre-bedtime Thomas.



I am feeling mostly better today and took yesterday as a sign that I need to stress a little less and take a little better care of my poor, anxious tummy. I am looking forward to a productive week with lots of green tea and evening snuggles with Maddie and Nemo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart