Skip to main content

Whatcha Got Cookin'?

I have gotten into a good routine of prepping things for the week on Sundays so that we have more time when we get home to play trains and less time having to chop onions, because, priorities, you know? I am always on the look out for recipes that can be made ahead, and I recently stumbled across a delicious quinoa stuffed bell pepper dish on another blog that looked like a good make-ahead meal. I paired it with some baked beans (Maddie and Matty both prefer them over black) and a nice Abita Pecan Harvest poured into a fancy Allagash glass from our trip to the brewery two summers ago. Delicious! Here is my version of the recipe, modified to make ahead (I made them Sunday and we had them Tuesday night). 

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers, serves four to five adapted from A Beautiful Mess
1 cup quinoa (I used a mixture of colors)
5-6 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I used 2tbsp of tomato paste instead)
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken since I had some to use up)
1 cup shredded cheddar (or pepper jack) cheese (I used a sharp cheddar mix)
3-4 bell peppers (I used 4 of the yellow and orange variety)


In a medium size pot heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic, jalapeno and onion until the onions begin to soften (about 2 minutes). Rinse the quinoa. Add the quinoa to the hot pot. Cook for one minute. Pour in the vegetable broth and tomato sauce, season with cumin. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. 
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds and veins. Rub the peppers with 4-5 tablespoons olive oil. These don't need a lot of oil because as they roast they will start giving off their own juices. Bake for 10-12 minutes.Once the quinoa is cooked and the peppers have softened fill each pepper with the quinoa mixture.
Once the peppers were roasted and filled, I put them in a dish and covered them with saran wrap to hang out in the fridge until we were ready to eat them later in the week.
When we got home from work I preheated the oven and baked at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, but once I served them I noticed that the inside was a little cool because of the way I had stuffed the peppers (instead of halfsies) so if I cut them the same way next time I will probably put them in about 18 minutes. During the last two minutes of cooking add the cheese to the tops of the peppers. 
Voila! 
Matty and I had a yummy dinner and leftovers for me to take to work for lunch today, which is a good thing since it is a snowy mess in Boston; I am definitely going to need a nice hot lunch to get me through the day!

Maddie decided not to have any of our meal and stuck with her beloved Annie's mac and cheese, but she has been pretty adventurous this week with cheese tortellini Monday night and lots of sips from Mama's green smoothies in the morning. We try not to push anything on her and let her make decisions about what she eats, though we do always encourage her to try one bite before making the call as to whether or not she likes something. Hence, a lot of Annie's mac and cheese, pancakes, and fresh fruit get eaten in our house, but considering she has never had McDonald's and doesn't even like french fries, I would say our goal of her having a healthy relationship with food is going pretty well.

Though I am not so sure what is going to happen when we try fish with her again based on a certain new best friend/nightly snuggle buddy.....


Happy eating! I am going to go count the minutes until lunch now :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart