Over the Weekend

I don't know why, but Maddie has been having some serious sleep issues again, which results in her waking up in the middle of the night and one of us sleepwalking to bring her into bed with us and then her keeping us up for a couple of hours until we either put her back in her room, where she eventually passes out, or us almost giving up on ever sleeping again when she eventually passes out....at which point an alarm always seems to go off. This morning, my sweet, sweet husband actually got up with her at 5am and let me have a glorious hour all to myself in which I had the deepest sleep ever. 
But then it was time to get up. 
I know that someday we will all joke about what a terrible sleeper little Maddie was and how it helped her study so hard to become the engineer/train conductor/macaroni and cheese chef she ends up being, but for now, it just sucks. A lot. And it makes for some pretty hard Mondays, especially with those long runs on Sunday.
Oh, parenthood, you tricky little devil.

Sleepless Sunday aside, we did manage to have a really lovely weekend and, for once, it did not feel totally jam packed and leave us exhausted. We actually had some time to relax and do a whole lot of laundry and cleaning while still getting some fun adventures in, and even a secret date!

Saturday, per our usual routine, we dropped Matt off at school and hit the Breakfast Club for a pancake (for Maddie) and an omelet (for me) en route to gymnastics class. Maddie has been struggling with the circle-time/structured aspect of the class so we spent a lot of time talking about how she should give that part a try and that it might help her to learn something new like a song or a stretch, and lo and behold, she actually showed some improvement this time. Unlike her music class there is not a real transition between free play and structure in this class, which is something Maddie and her high-energy needs, so I have been trying to pay attention to the teachers and provide the transition for her so that we don't end up having to go chill out in the lobby while Maddie screams bloody murder to get back in the ball pit. So overall, yay Maddie!

Swinging in the playground exhibit!
She requested a picture with her favorite train at the museum.
Right after class we headed over to the Museum of Science to meet up with Maddie's best friend, who used to be a weekly visitor at our house. Maddie was THRILLED to see her and spent the whole time holding her hand and being totally smitten with her "fwend Corie". It is so neat to see her develop real relationships with people, especially little people, and it makes me so excited for future sleepovers and friend dates for her. I would not be nearly as happy and fulfilled in life if not for the awesome lady friends who are a part of my circle, and I really hope to show Maddie the importance of healthy, loving relationships, especially with other women. 

After our free parking ran out at the Museum I decided to roll the dice and see if I could keep Maddie up long enough to get her in her stroller and walk around the North End, which was  really a plan to fulfill my Pinkberry craving. Like some sort of stars aligning, we got our yogurt (which Maddie happily polished off all by herself) and then she passed out as we walked around the cobblestone streets, leaving me free to go into Starbucks, get a cup of coffee and READ A BOOK! 
What? Wait, wait, it gets better!
 Matty finished up class early, hopped on the T and took the seat right next to me to enjoy a cup of coffee himself and she stayed asleep! For like two hours! We talked and cuddled and pretended that we were just two totally sleep caught up people having a date at Starbucks. She didn't even wake up until we were walking over to a bakery to get a fresh ciabatta loaf for dinner, which we only realized when we heard her say "hi puppy" to a passing golden retriever. Kind of  a super, duper lovely way to spend a Saturday. 
We made it home in time to make a yummy dinner, Skype with Grandma and get some snuggles and Cinderella watching done. Maddie also got her first manicure; I just couldn't say no to her while I was trying to make my gross runner's feet look a little less terrible with pink polish. And how cute are those tiny hands? She was so excited and kept showing Matt, the cat, her stuffed animals and the tv her "pink fingers". They will look totally awesome with her fire chief coat and Thomas the Train shirt.
Yummy Pinkberry with ALL THE FRUIT!
Out like a light in her stroller!
Matching digits! 

Yesterday was "long run Sunday" and, once again, thanks to my wonderful AIL, we both got to get out and get it done. I did an 8 mile run around Belmont and then met my running team to do the Cambridge City Run 5 Miler. I kept pace with a res and non-res runner for the first 3.5 miles but then slowed myself down for the last bit because I was just plain TIRED. But it was a beautiful day and just awesome to be out there with my team, which included one of my new res runners doing his first ever race. The smile and sense of accomplishment he was rocking after was so great and made my heart so happy; I truly love being a part of Back on My Feet and am excited for the change in weather and opportunity to do more running with them.

While I was lumbering through my run all slow and steady, my husband was out annihilating a 20 miler at an extraordinarily fast pace - that man of mine never ceases to totally amaze me with how far he has come as a runner and I am sure he will be qualifying for Boston within the next couple of years, at which point I will need to get a jet pack to keep up with him. He even came to meet me and my cheer squad at the finish line, directly from his 20 miles. Have I mentioned lately how much I adore that guy? The best, I tell you.

After a short drive back to my AIL's, in which she will surely needed to Febreze her car, we were all treated to an amazing lunch, hot showers and rest and relaxation. If I ever won any sort of medal for running I would immediately give it to her for all of the time and energy she has put into our running. We are so, so lucky and hope that Maddie gets the hang of doing the laundry and dishes for her soon :)

After we recuperated we headed home to do laundry and open the windows to let some fresh air in for the first time this year. Never one to let 20 miles stop him, Matt changed our brake pads and then let me have some time to myself while he took Maddie to the park to ride her bike. I parked my bum on the couch and caught up on some Parks and Rec while eating assorted Italian cookies we got in the North End, which was a pretty great way to wind down a lovely weekend.

Here is to a productive week, more sleep-filled nights and lots more fresh air! Happy Monday!
Maddie showing her bowling pin animals the dump trucks on our drive...


Popular Posts