Skip to main content

Stupid sniffles


I am still sick and it sucks! I'm not completely bed-ridden sick, but more the annoying sick where I'm sniffly and stuffy and have an overall icky feeling throughout my body. I can move around and do things, but it takes all my energy just to do the easiest stuff, and I certainly can't do the stuff I really want to do (go to the gym, hunt down Matty's super secret anniversary present, breathe out my nose without sounding like a chainsaw). It sucks - boo! I needed to have a little pity party. On the bright side, I do have to say, I don't get sick nearly as much as I did when I was a smoker, and the sick germs do a much better job of staying above the neck, which is good when you were the kid/teenager/adult with chronic bronchitis. So here I am taking it easy, and hoping to feel even better for my special Mass at church tomorrow morning.
Tomorrow at 11:30 I will be admitted to the Order of Catechumens in my Parish, marking my progress from Catechism classes to the nearing Sacraments of baptism and confirmation. I am very excited, and maybe a bit nervous, because I will stand in the Church, in front of everyone, while Father Harkins announces my admission and welcomes me into the Church in my new role. All eyes on me! Lucky for me Matty, who is my sponsor (like an adult Godparent, not like in AA) will also be there with me and is a part of the ceremony. He will enter the Church with me and he and Father Harkins will then welcome me into this next phase with a special ceremony. It is one step closer to my baptism and confirmation, which will happen at the Easter Vigil (the night before Easter Sunday)!
I am super excited and feeling a lot of empowerment over my faith at this point. It helps that this was a decision made purely on my own, for reasons of a purely personal nature, and I have not had anyone trying to pull me into thinking or believing anything that I don't truly feel and see with my own heart. I feel saddened for those who have been pushed into religion - either by government, family or society - and I feel very lucky to live in a country where a young, liberal woman can make this decision and have the right to follow through with it. I have felt some sense of judgementalness, strangely more by my Mom than anyone else, but I know it has more to do with her own experiences and choices than it does me, and I don't take any of it to heart. This is something that I continue to be very excited about and have found a lot of peace and inspiration in my decision to follow through with. I have wanted to make this final step for a long time, and I am just thankful that I have the support that I do to make it happen. Both my Priest and Matty have been extremely patient and supportive and I am so incredibly thankful for them both. It has been another experience that helps to solidify the bond and love that Matty and I share, and I think that he has gotten quite a bit out of the experience for himself as well. I also appreciate how supportive my friends, namely Amy, Emily and Nina, have been and how excited they have been for me. The fact that Emily is getting up on a Sunday morning to go to a Roman Catholic Church shows the kind of love my bffs have for me!
Other than trying to get better and Church activities, I am taking it easy this weekend. I went to see Milk today, which was absolutely as good as the rumors, and very deserving of the awards it has been nominated for. I have also been catching up on some TiVo and reading New Moon. Matty has been at work for a million hours today, but we're going to grab dinner after our run through at Church tonight and have some hang out time that doesn't involve sleeping, which has been most of our together time lately. He's still been working long and stressful hours and I'm sickly and exhausted, so we haven't had too much face time, which makes me a little sad...but is soon to be remedied! Oh, and I got my new dart set in the mail today - they're pink! - that Matty got for me off of Ebay, so expect some serious dart throwing down at the Silhouette soon!

XoXo

Comments

amy said…
Go jesus + stef! (love, amy)

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart