Skip to main content

A World of Imagination

I had my first pang of "holy crap, stop growing up" today as I was leaving a meeting and thinking about how crazy it is that this little baby girl of mine is officially two and a half and now closer to three than to two. She is closer to school days and the grown up world and waaaaaaaaaahhh. But really, I love this stage so, so much and this little lady of mine is just blowing my mind and making my heart explode into a million pieces every single day.

Before we had Maddie my exposure to children was pretty limited; not a lot of my friends have kids (especially not in Boston), I babysat a bit when I was really young but usually just babies and for a couple of hours and I had never had siblings or younger family around me. I was probably about as novice as possible and because of this I was scared about how I would feel as she got older. I was literally scared that I would not like my own kiddo.

Babies are cute and they don't really do much, and they certainly don't talk or have opinions, and I was really worried that as Maddie got older I wouldn't like her or this parenting gig as much (terrible, I know, but I also know lots of parents feel this!). As much as I loved babies I didn't really know much about hanging out with a toddler or a kid and wasn't sure how it would go over, but it turns out, it is pretty awesome.

One of the best parts of this whole parenting thing has been watching Maddie as she begins to use her imagination and create play situations with her toys. Yesterday I caught her having a "conversation" between Rosie and Thomas (the trains) and she was having them talk back and forth about eating dinner and then went on a "why?" tangent between the two of them (just like she does! hopefully it made her ears bleed too!). It was super hilarious and so neat to see her making  up these little scenarios. She has so much imagination and is so great at playing on her own; she can entertain herself for really extended periods of time (which is such an awesome trait to have if you ask this only child!). Of course, we hope that she will have a sibling in the future and incorporate them into her play, but for now she does an awesome job on her own and seems so happy just chatting along with her stuffed animals or reading books to her firetrucks. 

This imaginative play has also made me think about how much of an affect everything in Maddie's life has on the way that she is shaping and understanding the world around her and what a huge responsibility me and my village have during these incredibly formative years. When I worked in the prison we talked a lot about how the offenders based their views on the cognitive schemes in their head - if they saw their dads beat their moms, they assumed that this was the way things were and so they grew up treating women the way they knew and understood the world. As they grew up and went out in the world they started to learn that this was not actually an acceptable way of thinking, but it had already been ingrained in the way they viewed every piece of their world, and changing was a hard thing to do (especially as their therapist). Watching Maddie as she creates interactions and conversations has me hanging on her every word to make sure that we are modeling all of the things that we hold dear: kindness, love, creativity and empathy, and I am happy to report that so far, we seem to be doing a pretty good job. This morning she even told her dump truck to "be gentle" when she dumped the blocks out, so apparently I am pretty good at this post-baby season of her life!

Here is to creativity, imagination, and doing the best darn job you possibly raising these little people. 

Dada trying (patiently) to teach Maddie to use her pedals. 
Photo cred to our amazing nanny for this awesome dress up tea party shot.
She put sunglasses on him and asked me to take a picture. 
Thomas PJs, free Disney Store crown = PAR-TAY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart