Skip to main content

Oh is for October

I would usually say that fall, and especially October, is one of my favorite times of the year: crisp weather, Halloween decorations and a certain winding down after the summer months.
So far, though, it has been a little bit more difficult this year. The weather goes from lovely to gross, I can't seem the find the Halloween decorations in the basement (or the time to put them out) and I feel about as wound down as a spinning top filled with espresso. In just a week's time we have weathered one hospital visit, three sicknesses, one broken down car and too many hours of stressful work days than I would like to track. Buuuuuut, such is this stage in life, and with our health back, a new battery in  the car (which was the best case scenario) and some sense of calm back at work, I have decided to start enjoying October to the fullest extent.

This weekend provided a great opportunity for that as we were down the Cape for some relaxation and so I could run the Harwich Cranberry Harvest Half Marathon. Considering I spent the previous weekend in the ER with pneumonia and am carrying this new baby around in my belly, I was just happy to be able to run and complete the Cape Trilogy of races that I started back in February. The course was gorgeous, the day was perfectly sunny and even though it was my longest time yet, I did it. 13 miles at 13 weeks is kind of the best story for the new baby book ever, right?

Baby's first bib!
I am hoping to do one more half marathon before the winter hits and my training depends more on the weather than what is on paper, so any suggestions for a late fall race are welcome! Part of my maternity running plan is to allow the weather to dictate my running more than in the past as I anticipate a loss of coordination/center of balance that would not work well on snowy sidewalks. This probably means some more time spend on the dreadmill, or perhaps the bike or pool, but whatever keeps this baby safe is what is most important, and as long as I am getting in some sort of exercise I will be happy.

A lot of people have asked me if I plan to continue running through my pregnancy and the answer is: absolutely. I will keep going until I feel the need to stop, which may not happen until I am at the end of my pregnancy or might have to happen sooner, but I am listening to my body and taking great care of myself (as I do pregnancy or not). I am strongly in the camp that a healthy body makes for a healthy baby, and I am also a role model to Madeleine and showing her how a woman can best take care of herself, whether pregnant or not. The fact that she thinks going to road races or Mama meeting her "fwends" in my run club are as commonplace in our lives as going to her weekly gymnastics class is pretty awesome :)

A lot is going to change with a newborn in our house (duh) and two little people to love and care for, which is going to make the need to take care of myself even more important.  I am lucky to have a husband who also puts my well-being high up on the priority list and helps me make that time for myself, but I know that is going to become even trickier once spring rolls around and this baby joins our family. I am anticipating a lot less time in my running shoes and a lot more time kissing kiddos, but I would not have it any other way. These are seasons of our lives that pass so quickly, and I am just lucky to be living them and trying hard to live in those moments.

I am hoping to make Boston 2016 my first post-pregnancy marathon goal, but am open to the fact that it may be Matty's turn to train (we learned that lesson the hard way!) or that breastfeeding and helping Maddie adjust to being a sibling might not allow for that training time, but for now, that is where my head is at. Might things change? Absolutely. This body of mine is in charge and anything that tells me I need to slow down or make changes will be heard loud and clear without any resistance from me because this is about more than me right now. Am I hoping to be that big belly out for a run in March? Heck yes! But who knows what these next few months will bring. At the end of the day the goal is just as it was with my last pregnancy: to bring a healthy and happy baby into the world via a healthy and happy Mama.

I wasn't anticipating this being so much about running, but I guess that is what's on my mind (and not just because my muscles are reminding me all about the running I did from the waist down today!). Happy October, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart