Skip to main content

Kind of Blue


Today is the first day since I got married that I have been sad for longer than three or four minutes. It has only been a few hours, but in comparison, I totally feel like I have the blues.
Life is still wonderful, blessed and exciting; that has not changed. But I am coming down off of my happy honeymoon cloud and addressing the things that I chose not to address so I could enjoy the bliss of wedding and honeymoon time. The things that I decided to wait on also waited on me.

I am sad because two of my close friends are not friends anymore and I feel as though I watched it happen and I wish I could have said or done more. I have learned a very valuable lesson: if someone is doing something that is upsetting someone, including yourself, it is important to say something so that they know they are doing something not okay. They may or may not change their ways, but at least you can feel good about the fact that you said something and you tried to be a part of the solution. I am vowing to be a better friend by telling someone, in the moment, that I am unhappy with their actions/words/decisions and I will from now on encourage my friends to do the same. I cannot change the past, but I can learn from it and carry this lesson into the future with me.

I am also sad because I miss my Mommy. This is a normal, generalized feeling for me. If it is not one of the two or three times a year that my Mom is in the same time zone as me chances are I am missing her. Fairly recently I was pretty convinced that I wanted to move back to the West Coast so that I didn't have to have that feeling anymore. I could not imagine my life without my Mom when Matty and I began to have children and the only way I saw to ensure this would not be the case was to move closer to my Mom. San Francisco was the closest I could get myself, since any closer seemed too much like moving back to Reno and at least SF is a city that I have wanted to live in. I was pretty sure I was going to tell my friends and family this month that Matty and I would be packing up and moving out west. We looked at jobs and apartments and talked to my family about it but we did not tell anyone else. We didn't want to take the attention away from our wedding or upset anyone yet. We wanted to put it off until we were ready to take their sadness and criticism and well wishes. We never made it that far.
I wanted to tell my Mom in person that we were having second thoughts, that it no longer seemed like the best idea for us, but I didn't get the chance. She caught me off guard today when I was rushing home from work to get dinner eaten to get to Arise to get home to get ready for work tomorrow. I told her and it hurt. It hurt me and it hurt her and it hurt to know that I had gotten everyone so excited and then taken it back. I wish I could take back the idea to move and telling my Mom and getting her excited for us to be closer to her, but I cannot. I can however make very good points as to why that is no longer the best plan for us, and how it probably never was.

I am blessed, like, beyond blessed and my life here is a direct reflection of that. We have dozens of friends from all sorts of parts of our lives: my HONO friends, our HONO friends, Matty's Rat friends, my Starbucks friends, Matty's Genzyme friends, our Church friends, my work friends, Matty's Boston Latin friends, my Suffolk friends, our Boston Cares friends - there are just so many quality, wonderful people that we get to call our friends, and we both keep adding to our roster! Matty is thoroughly enjoying his new position at work: the work, the hours, the challenge and I am loving and growing in my position and finally feel respected and my skills utilized. We are very involved with our Church and have made some incredible friends there who we have done two seasons of Arise and organized a young adult's group with. We have our favorite stores, our favorite restaurants, our favorite beach and our memory spots: our first kiss, where Matty proposed, our first date spot. We are happily, healthily married and committed to one another and we are both looking forward to moving out of Allston and into a bigger place that will allow us to entertain large groups of people, to have a dog and to start a family.
To walk away from all of this and start all over again feels like I am slapping God right in his face and saying "hey man, thanks for the awesome life, but I am going to go ahead and bounce". I just cannot do it. I love my Mom more than she even knows, and it is because of this that I cannot just walk away from everything that I (and we) have built just to take a chance and start all over again. I would love nothing more to be in driving distance of my Mom, to have her there to help me with our babies and be a hands-on grandmother, but I am going to have to commit to ensuring that all those things happen, even if we are 6 hours apart.
I am going to fly out to visit her after the holidays; it will be my first time going without Matty since we started dating but this is how I will show her that I am dedicated to closing the physical distance between us. I will visit more, I will make sure our time together is quality, and if there ever comes a time when we can be in the same time zone that is good for both of us, I will make sure that happens. I will not let the miles affect her presence in my life, in Matty's life or in our babies lives. I have always been capable of juggling different lives, different friends and different experiences, but now I am going to allow them to all be in sync, to stand firm in my right to enjoy this blessed life, with no restrictions on my love for my Mom, my husband and my life.

These are my decisions, and these are the values I will move forward with in order to be a better friend, daughter, wife and, someday, mother.

XoXo,
Mrs. O'Shea, decision maker extraordinaire

Comments

gardenbaby said…
Dearest Stephanie- this is such a touching blog. Your writing skills are extraordinary. As a mom who misses her children all the time I can tell you it struck a chord that resonated through many chambers of my heart. I do want to send you encouragement though. Since you brought up your faith I will respond in faith as well and pray it will be received as love-- for God's very character is LOVE.
What you are experiencing is God's design and plan for marriage. It is the painfully sweet journey of 'leave and cleave'... "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined (cleave) to his wife, and they shall become one flesh" (Genesis 2:24). We are called to leave our parents and become one with our spouses-- its a beautiful and painful journey for both parents and children but one that is good and right and as you say healthy. We all grow in the process- more strong, more wise, more beautiful. We are also called to honor our parents -
"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you" (Exodus 20:12). Finding the balance between these two things and understanding the relevance of these decrees is a prayerful journey for both mom and daughter. I've sent you a note on this to your facebook messages.
However in the meantime I want to encourage you to know God and His promises. Even though God is the same today as he always has been not all that is true today in your life or your mom's life will be true tomorrow. God can do anything. He could move your mom here... He knows our hearts Stephanie- he loves to bless our hearts and reveal his goodness. Whatever He does he will do it so you know him more, understand his character better- trust him more with your life and he will be glorified. Your mother too will look back one day and be amazed at all the lovely things that occurred in her life because you and Matt married. God promises to put the lonely in families - he will not forsake your mother or you or ignore the longing in your hearts (hope denied crushes the spirit- and And we know that 'God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.'Romans 8).

I'll leave you with two scriptures of encouragement (there are thousands to choose from) and I will tell you that I will lift your dilemma up in prayer and keep both you and your mom in my prayers...
Phil.4:4-8
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6 Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

'Trust in the Lord and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the Lord
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:3-4
All my love- Boo Boo and Yogi's mom xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart