Skip to main content

Oktoberfest!

I have been married almost one month. Today we are throwing our first post-wedding party at our house, it is our annual Oktoberfest where Matty makes sauerbraten and we make tons of brats and schnitzles and everyone brings beer and we all get very drunk. It should be epic, especially since this year I have an awesome beer wench costume and my new work friends are coming (well, most of them) and I am totally in love with them and excited to have them meet my wonderful husband and some of our friends.
I really, really love the fall. It is so beautiful here in New England and it is so exciting to wear sweaters and scarves after a summer of sweating. We were supposed to go and visit Amy in Northampton tomorrow to go apple picking, but we are attempting to be really financially responsible and pay off debt and build our credit scores in anticipation of being able to get a home loan, so unfortunately we had to put it off. I really miss Amy so I am sad, but it will be a nice day of Matty watching football and me trying to finish my book so I can move on to the five others I have waiting next to our bed.
I put our new duvet cover on our bed today, we bought it with a gift card we received for our wedding, and now our bed looks very pretty and adult-like. It is orange and white and has brown bird silhouettes; I am totally obsessed with birds right now - on clothes, on housewares, jewelry - which is funny because I actually like birds the least of any other animal. I really like the sparrows and owls that have been popping up on everything, but I would never want to own an actual bird, except for chickens which I really want for eggs and wings someday. When we have babies I am totally going to do the nursery in all those cute owls that look like they are from the 70's. It's very gender neutral and so fun!
I attended the first of the four nights that I am spending doing a community dialogue on race relations in Boston this Thursday, and it was super amazing. There were 15 incredibly smart, respectful and very different women in one room talking about something that we all feel strongly about and wish to create a solution for. We spent the first night talking a lot about our experience and identity and I realized that I have never really felt that I identify fully as "white". I know that I am white, and I know that my life is easier because of that, but because of my childhood growing up around no white people and then all white people, I have always felt more comfortable in a diverse crowd than one of white homogeneity. I have been thinking a lot about this in relation to where we are going to live after this year, since we are definitely leaving Allston and moving somewhere in the city that we can raise children. I am really drawn to Dorchester, with its huge mix of people, access to different areas, and the number of families, but I think it will take some convincing with Matty. He has already lived there and is not convinced that it is an entirely safe enough neighborhood, but we are going to look into some areas and hopefully we can find an area that we are both thrilled about. We shall see. My husband is smart and rational so I know that we will end up somewhere that is good for us.
I think I am going to sneak in a very quick nap before I get ready for our party tonight now.
But first, a list.
Places I really want to visit in the next few years:
  • Ireland (going in May!)
  • the Caribbean
  • the coast of France
  • London, England
  • Hong Kong
  • Belgium
Where do you want to go?
XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart