Skip to main content

Our New Year's

Look who made it until midnight! I was asleep about ten minutes later ;)
Hey, hey! Happy second day of 2014! We are currently getting pummeled with snow here in Boston so I am crossing my fingers for a serious day of sledding tomorrow. Sure it is easy to hate on the snow with the awful commute and crazy cold temperatures, but c'mon - sledding! hot chocolate! naps!

I hope everyone had a fun and sparkly New Year's Eve! Both our evening and day were really lovely. We ended up getting a NYE party invite to our friends' house outside of the city where there were a ton of other kids, delicious food and great company. We let Madeleine dictate how late we should stay and she ended up making it until past 10, which is pretty awesome for a kiddo with a 7:30 normal bedtime. She had so much fun running around with the other kids and being spoiled by all of them who thought she was the cutest thing they had ever seen. It definitely pooped her out; she was sound asleep before we even got out of the driveway and transitioned without a peep into her bed, leaving us with about twenty minutes to wait for the ball to drop and (quietly) pop the champagne we thought ahead to buy. Guess that wasn't just a wishful thinking purchase after all! It took a couple of pokes to keep Matty awake, but we did it and after a quick midnight kiss we got right into bed knowing that a certain someone would probably be up early. 
Getting ready to head to the party!

New Year's eve and New Year's Day drinks!

Lo and behold, we were up first, and even had to take Maddie to church in her pajamas for the 9:00 mass that I had to read at; she was still snoozing on the couch as I was trying to get a coat on her to leave! Party animal toddler!
After mass we went to our favorite little breakfast spot in our neighborhood and had a wonderfully huge breakfast to start the year. We sat at the counter, which ended up being the perfect height for a highchair and the waitress threw on Sesame Street for Maddie to watch while she worked through her plate of beeboo pancakes. This kid gets star treatment all the time - it's pretty beneficial being so stinking cute and sweet to everyone!

Mama and Maddie top knots!
PJs and puffy vests at the breakfast counter!
After breakfast we rushed home to get some layers on to go see the ice sculptures left over from Boston's First Night Celebration. I really wanted to see the one at the Marathon finish line with the BAA logo and have a chance to use my new zoom lens, so we drove down and even managed to find an amazing parking spot. But, alas, a certain tiny, sleepy, cold toddler had a twenty minute expiration date and was in full meltdown mode before we could make it over to the Common to see the other sculptures.
The calm before the storm, on our way to see the sculptures. Oh, you didn't know that 2014 is the year of upside down sunglasses?

But hey - I got my pictures! 



We made it home and quickly slipped back into our pjs so that Maddie and I could take a three hour nap. Yep, three hours. That makes two Wednesday holidays in a row where she and I have had some serious snuggle-filled naps together. We woke up to a visit from my sister-in-law and then I spent the rest of the afternoon reclaiming my side of our desk to have a better spot to work on this here blog. We ended the day with an AMAZING dinner of seafood stew and baguettes all made from scratch by that wonderful husband of mine and then I watched episodes of Nurse Jackie until I was summoned to bed by Maddie, who had a terrible night of sleep last night. I swear she knows when we need to get sleep the most because that is when she decides to be a total night owl. 

This stew was SO good.
So here is to a lovely if not little slow start to 2014 (I have not been being good about my training schedule thus far, but I am committed once we stop having all of these crazy midweek holiday). I am home, watching the snow fall outside while the smell of homemade popovers beckons to me! Dinnertime!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart