Skip to main content

Taking the Marathon Training Indoors

Last night after work the three of us stopped by the YMCA that is just a few blocks from our house and re-signed up for a family membership; while inside Maddie ran after some kids her age, watched the women in the cardio room working out and asked to go in the pool, all of which solidified that this was a great decision, even if me and the hubs are still a little begrudged by the whole idea. Maddie is going to be able to meet some other kids, see more examples of how fun it is to be active and get her little diaper butt back in the pool with Mama. Awesome!

But for me it means that I am throwing in the towel and agreeing to get on a dreadmill in these cold winter months. It also means adding in cross training and taking swimming lessons and preparing for an as-of-yet unregistered tri, but it was more fun to just glare at the treadmills and blame them for being back in the Y.
But hey, Maddie is going to have fun! And Matty is going to be able to lift weights that aren't a toddler!

Stefanie Sunshine was able to weigh the pros and cons and face the fact that it is just too damn cold for me this winter when another option, albeit a dreadful one, is available.
Then we celebrated our great decision with pizza for dinner because, obviously.

This morning I woke up at 5:00 (ok, it was like 5:20 but I was waiting for the coffee to brew); got dressed IN ONE LAYER OF CLOTHING and walked to the car, drove the two blocks to the Y and got on the treadmill. Note: yes, I sure as shit did that whole driving thing because it is cold outside and if I am going to go inside then I am going to go alllll the way, baby.

Then a strange thing happened. It wasn't that bad. Sure, it was boring and I was watching the time and distance obsessively waiting for my four miles that seemed like eight to be over, but I had short sleeves on and no jacket! No thermals! I sweat and could actually feel it instead of just feeling 9 degrees of terrible wind against my face! And, in an effort to just get it over with, I ran about 30 seconds to a minute per mile faster than I usually do.

Is this non-hatred of the treadmill going to continue? Probably not. The first time I have to do more than 6 miles will probably send me screaming for the outdoors and the frigid wind against my face, but, for now, I can do this because it means I am getting my runs in and working towards my next races and for now, that is enough.

I also looked pretty bad ass in my Tough Mudder shirt that wasn't hidden under twenty other layers.

See you at the gym (ugggghhhh).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Quarantine Diaries//The Good Stuff

Welllllll, I guess this is what I get for never getting around to writing that blog about the Disney Cruise we went on, because we are going straight from talking about sober January to um, a very different situation in...what month is it again? Let's get to it. Mondays in quarantine tend to be hard for me; not that I was a big fan of them before, but something about being stuck at home to work, school, parent, exercise, eat (you know all those things we used to do outside the home) just makes Mondays suck extra. While Friday is like a celebration of another week down, maybe another week closer to being on the other side of this, here comes Monday feeling like a daunting reminder that we are still very deep in this.  I have so many thoughts, so many feelings and so many emotions, and coming here to write things down is going to be a part of my routine again, because someday I want to look back at this and be proud of how we handled things, happy about being through it and th