Skip to main content

Tour Guide

I used to think that my plan b if this whole human services/non profit career didn't work out would be for me to go to school to learn how to run a funeral home. I mean, I like to make people feel happier and I have a love of the macabre, so I would be great at it.  However, I think I want to make my plan b to be a tour guide, because I sure  love telling people all about my favorite places to eat/drink/shop/stay/look when they go anywhere that I have been long enough to have an opinion on it. Granted, this career thing is working out pretty great, so maybe I will make it my retirement plan; anyone that has been to New Orleans with me knows how great I am at touring people right into Tropical Isle and getting a hand grenade in their hand, amiright???
Circa a very long time ago, with a famous blogger behind me!
Whenever we have visitors from out of town I love to take them around Boston and show them all the wonderful things my city has to offer, and I am always the friend who has a recommendation for any situation "might be breaking up but want to be close to the T and need a good beer list restaurant?"; I am on it! I send more texts for where to brunch then Siri!

Today I sent a friend my quick list for San Diego and I am working on an epic New Orleans guide for my cousin-in-law. It is so much fun to share all the places that I have enjoyed, whether they are off the beaten path or a touristy must-do that might have been overlooked for being too obvious. This also lets me go back to daydreaming about being on vacation...which is something I find myself doing a lot during winter in New England (I know it hasn't been that awful lately but that polar bear vortex thing was brutal).

So now I find myself looking around Airbnb for a condo for Yosemite in April when we go see my beautiful friend Bridget get married and at the same time looking at a place in Brooklyn to make an epic visit that includes hanging out with my very best friend from 9th grade who will be in town. I even get to show her some places that I love and try out a few new spots to share with people (I hope!). I have never been to Yosemite, and I hate camping and most outdoorsy things, so this should be...interesting.

By the way, these "guides" don't exist in any form but random notes and pictures and parts of my brain, so I would love the start organizing and sharing them here. I know there are some great ways of organizing places you love, but I love this blog, so why not use it to share some good travel suggestions?!

I guess this has turned into a blog about a blog, but hey, good things are coming down the pipeline on this little corner of the internet and I sure am having fun thinking of all the places I have been and all the fun that I have had.

Travel, you guys, it is the best. Especially since things like Airbnb exist, which makes it so much more awesome to travel as a family, even when we have grandma and grandpa along like we did last year in San Diego. Being able to have an entire house for a home base is so awesome - you can cook when you want to, have cocktails when you want to and put the kiddo to bed and not have to sit in a dark hotel room watching your iPad under the covers. Also, the price! We rent entire apartments for cheaper than we can get a bad hotel room in NYC. Love it.

So there you have it, the beginning of some new content that I am super excited to share!

In the meantime, here are some pics of some of my very favorite places!
In Miami on our honeymoon.

Kicking back on Cape Cod.

In Orlando for my first half marathon.

On my favorite carousel in San Diego.

Riding the subway in NYC.

Zen on Martha's Vineyard.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart