Skip to main content

The Toddler in the Pew

Outside our church this evening; love the lights!
I have made a lot of decisions as a parent that may be a little different from others and even tend to fall in that controversial category; we co-slept, I exclusively breast fed, went to work, hired the world's best nanny and we let our kid use an iPad to watch PBS shows. However, the one decision that is sometimes the hardest to keep doing is that we bring our toddler to church. Every single week.

At first it was easy, she was a baby and slept through most masses snuggled in her carrier against us but then she got mobile...and loud...and insane. Yet here we are, 26 months later and still putting ourselves through the hectic hour of mass with a toddler rampaging through the pews like Godzilla in the Vatican. But I honestl would not have it any other way. First of all, Matty gets even more credit, since I am a lector and get to read and leave him to deal with the chaos, which I can see (and hear) from the altar. As I'm in front of the whole parish, reading, I can hear my kiddo screeching about trains and freedom from the chains of Dada along with everyone else. Some people don't even know she's mine! It's hilarious, heartbreaking and a tiny bit guilt inducing but we keep at it, and here's why:

1. This is our life. We are devout Catholics and attend mass every weekend, no matter if we are home or on vacation, and we want Madeleine to have it as part of her life routine as well, now and into her adult life. 
2. Our parish is amazing. Being young, Catholic and in attendance for mass every weekend is pretty rare, and I feel like the older folks and other parishioners totally appreciate that and are so, so kind to us, even as our child appears to be in need of an exorcism during an especially wonderful homily they can barely hear. I've never had the terrible experience of being shamed or made to feel like I shouldn't be there with Madeleine as so many other church goers and bloggers that I follow have talked about. Our priest is especially wonderful in this regard and always goes out of his way to talk to Madeleine and tell her how good she was during mass even if she screamed through his entire gospel reading. It's so encouraging when he tells me that he knows we are making a sacrifice to be in mass each weekend and how great it is that we bring her, even when it's obvious that she was a complete lunatic for an hour. 
3. It's having an effect on her. Maddie has started singing along to the 'alleluia', she says 'amen' and she loves giving the sign of peace. I'm not trying to punish her by bringing her, I want her to truly enjoy it as much as we do, and I see glimpses of that as she becomes more aware of what's going on and starts to participate in her own little way. Mass is an hour each week for me to meditate and enjoy my faith and I hope that she feels that way as time goes on too. I won't ever push religion on her but I hope that I can lead by example and encourage her to continue on the path we have started for her.

I was motivated to write this because we made a risky decision and went to the 5pm mass tonight, when we generally attend the 10:30am. Maddie had not had a nap and may have had a cupcake right before and was in pretty crazy form. We were early so I was letting her run around the church and get her wiggles out before mass started, which included saying hi to everyone waiting to pray the rosary before mass. She walked up to one woman who I've seen a handful of times and the woman gave her a colorful child's rosary. Maddie immediately put it on as a necklace and called it her "rosy". We thanked her and Maddie went along her way to go say hi to everyone else. I tried to have her give it back after mass but the woman told us that she was out today and saw it and decided to buy it although she had no recipient in mind, but when she saw Maddie and I looking at the nativity and talking about baby Jesus, she knew why she had bought it and was thrilled to give it to Maddie. Such a sweet gesture, and one that made my heart swell because of my connection to the rosary.  
When Matty and I attended St. Thomas in JP and had our awesome group of young Catholics that we often did things with, we had a seminarian friend of a member teach us how to pray the rosary. It was the first time I had ever done so and I was really into it; the meditative part of it and the prayers to Mary. As a woman I feel a tremendous connection to Mary, which has only multiplied since becoming a mother, and that day made me feel so close to her. The very next day, we found out we were pregnant with Madeleine. That's something, isn't it?

So to all you church going folk who don't give the evil eye to folks like us, trying to lead by example and foster a sense of normalcy into our own church going life, we thank you. Madeleine will make an excellent nun to serve you all someday, I'm sure.
All that running around made for one tired baby girl tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart