Skip to main content

Over the Weekend

Is it really Monday already? I feel like this weekend just flew by. The good news is that we made it through our first weekend with Matty back in classes, but nap time was not a successful endeavor either day and is something that we really need to work on if I am going to make it through this semester. Maddie is still doing two to three hours on the weekdays and I really, really want to keep that up as long as possible, including on the weekends because a two year old with no nap is about the scariest thing I have even seen. and it makes the evenings not so fun. I think I need to make sure that I am getting her to the indoor play space or the park (weather permitting) Saturday mornings so she can run around and tire herself out. I am also going to try and get up really early before Matty has to leave and get on a spin bike at the Y so that I can be nice and stress free when it comes time to make nap time happen.

Saturday was full of errands and checking off to-do lists and Matty even got home from class early, which gave me time to do some food prep before the week. I made a batch of marinara sauce for pasta and chopped up a bunch of veggies for slow cooker chili, all while a chicken tikka masala cooked for dinner on Saturday night. I love feeling prepared like this before the week begins and that it allows less scramble and more play time with Maddie when we get home in the evenings. I am going to try and keep on this routine since we are going to be a little more home bound on the weekends and I will actually have a chance to do so. I also got everything to make the "kalelicious" smoothie at home and even got Matty drinking it! I added some blueberries this morning and it tasted really good! I am already noticing a difference in how I feel and I swear my skin is starting to look a little less winter dull. Here is the recipe that I have been using, with some modifications (less apple juice to make it thicker and the frozen blueberries). I want to get some flax seed and probiotics to add-in and plan on mixing up the frozen fruits and switching to fresh once the winter is over.

Thanks to my wonderful AIL Matty and I were able to get our 13 mile run in together on Sunday, but boy oh boy was it a miserable time. Not spending time with Matty, I love that, but whenever I have a bad run I turn into a raging lunatic that blames him for everything because he is the better runner and I am an irrational human being sometimes :) Thank God he loves me and didn't actually leave me 5 miles from home in the freezing wind on the Esplanade like I screamed at him to do through frozen tears; I probably would have left my ass there, not gonna lie.
See, the thing is, running can really, really suck. Sure there are a lot of things I love about it and those are the things that I think about when my nostril has frozen shut and my thighs are cold and chafing but there are some times when recalling that feeling of crossing my first marathon finish line or fitting into the smallest size jeans I have ever fit into just don't do it for me. These are the times that I stop and yell and cry and question why on earth I am out in the New England winter cold doing this again. It is at this point that I try and muster every single ounce of determination and anger in my body, turn up my headphones, and go. I just go and go until I am done, until I have another 13 miles logged and I am that much closer to my next race and I am showered and warm and ready to eat all the things in the refrigerator. Sometimes, I just have to go and be mad and mentally cuss out every single person who passes me until I get back to the reality that I am so incredibly lucky that my body allows me to do this, that I am healthy and alive and have such a better handle on my anxiety because of running. And when I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, hobbling across the kitchen, I smile and know that I will run until I can't run anymore and that I will never have to worry about my favorite running partner leaving me on the side of the road with nothing but my frozen tears to keep me company. Thanks babe, you're a very patient man that way.

So that was our weekend - and here are some adorable Maddie pics because, really, what weekend can be half bad with this little ray of sunshine? No nap and all, she is pretty much the cutest thing ever, am I right?

Have a great Monday!


I am really aiming for ballet classes this spring; she is just so happy in a tutu!

Mama's little diva at Tar-jey.

She would not put this NatGeo book about the oceans back and kept calling it "Nemo's dada book".

The market had a great sale on tired toddlers Saturday morning!

Finally Dada has someone to play Xbox with!

So yes, I bought the darn book. She just loved it so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart