Skip to main content

Why Dorchester?








Don't pop the bubbly just yet, but the O'Sheas are this close to owning the condo that we have our heart set on, and although the road to home ownership is less yellow brick and more Lombard Street, we may be closing in just six weeks (!!!). We are stressed, exhausted, nervous, excited and anxious as hell, but if it all goes well and we make this house our home it will be ALL worth it. 

Aside from the house itself, I am really excited for the neighborhood, which is known as Pope's Hill in Dorchester. The Dot and I have had some trials and tribulations over the last six months or so, but I am glad that we have decided to stay and have the opportunity to move into an area that is just nicer enough to make the bad feelings I had go away, but still connected. I am still fully committed to making all of Dorchester as awesome as it deserves to be, but I no longer feel like I am martyring myself or my family by living in the thick of a lot of the not-so-great activity.

Here is a little history of how we came to live in Dorchester.

As with most young people attending college in Boston, I spent my first five years of living in the Allston/Brighton area. It had a Starbucks for me to work at, affordable enough rent, a train that went right to my school and all the bars I needed. As I became more invested in civic engagement I knew that I would need to get the hell out of Allston; the number of renters and students who give NO shits about Boston far outweigh people like me who want to be involved in the goings-on and progress of the city stepping over vomit gets a little old when you get a little old.

Once I became pregnant I knew that I wanted to be somewhere with a more neighborhood feel where people were less transient and more committed to their spaces. I was also deeply committed to raising our child in a diverse area where she would be exposed to different races, cultures, income levels and family make-ups. To me, Dorchester was a no-brainer. In one grocery trip I hear thick Irish brogues and Haitian-creole, I see townies and young professionals, and I love it, and I love even more that this is just the norm for Maddie. It thrills me to think that she will grow up and truly not think about a person's outside but will really take that whole person into consideration; it really is one of my biggest hopes for her as a parent in addition to kindness, empathy and sleeping through the damn night.

I got all of that when we moved into our rental in Dorchester, but I also got the other things that go along with living in Boston's largest neighborhood, such as crime, apathy and the need to defend my news-focused neighborhood. Yes, there is a lot of crime. There is also a lot of surface area in the Dot and there are a lot of socio-economic factors at play. The poorest of the poor and the most ignored youngsters in our city come from Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan. My neighbors litter and ride tiny motorbikes at breakneck speed down my street. I get harassed on my walk to the train because I am a woman and a lot of men were not raised knowing the fear that women get when they are spoken to in a sexual way when all they are trying to do is get to the god damn T and go to work. People get shot and killed and no one says anything because "snitches get stitches". It sucks. And it almost pushed me out. I wrote letters to my city councilor to get neighborhood clean up, I attempted to engage my harassers and let them know that I live in the neighborhood too and I don't appreciate the comments, I welcomed the neighborhood kids to play with Maddie's backyard toys and tried to connect with their parents. Then one day shit hit a little too close to home and I wanted out. I was frustrated, exhausted and done. 

I wanted out, so we immediately jumped back into the home-buying arena in order to get the hell out of Dorchester.

Then, a funny thing happened.

All I wanted to look at were places in Dorchester. We got listings for Rosi and Hyde Park and JP but those weren't the ones I wanted to see. I wanted to stay, even if I didn't quite know it yet. When it came to looking at places outside of Dorchester I got sad, and nervous, and guilt-ridden. I was turning my back on the neighborhood that we had hand-picked to start our family and it just didn't feel right. And it turns out that my gut feeling was right on.

I love so much about Dorchester: the Neponset Trail, Pope John Paul Park, the Ice Cream Smith, Dot Ale, the Dorchester Running club, Greenhills Bakery, the proximity to the Cape, the red line (hahahaha, KIDDING!) and oh

Dorchester is not perfect but it is always getting better and I hope that I can be a part of making it the neighborhood that its people deserve it to be. I want to be a part of making it cleaner and safer, to help engage the kids and adults to become more invested in their streets and, most importantly, to keep it diverse and affordable so that it doesn't turn into another gentrified horror story. I am no longer an outsider looking in, but a Dorchester resident who wants the best for my neighborhood so that my family and those to come can experience all the awesome things that the Dot has to offer and never feel the way I did about leaving.

Now please, let us get this house and live happily ever after, the end.

PS. in perfect timing rules, the Dorchester Day Parade was this Sunday and, of course, we were there and I managed to snap a few pictures. 



This COULD be our bedroom window if all goes right!
A little Carnivale on Dot Ave.


The BPD Gaelic Column warming up in our church's yard before the parade.
My little Dot Rat : )




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart