Skip to main content

A Month of Thanks, Day Two

 Today I am thankful that I live in the city of Boston, in my opinion, one of the greatest cities in the world and indisputably home to the best baseball team of 2013. Today we attended the Red Sox rolling rally to celebrate their win in the World Series. It is a tradition for our teams who have won championships (a common occurrence here) to get on Duck Boats and roll around the city and into the Charles River, giving everyone a chance to come out and see the team and celebrate. I have never been able to attend one, but since this was Maddie's first World Series win in her lifetime, we made sure we were there.

 We got up nice and early, put on our Red Sox best and went down to the Boston Common to partake in the festivities. Our dear friend Mary met up with us and we found a perfect place near the parade route with a bunch of grass, trees and police officers positioned around for Maddie to chat with. This kid loves a man in uniform...and I can't say I blame her. She definitely charmed a whole lot of Boston's finest today and had an awesome time clapping, waving and running around in confetti.
 This was a hard year for Boston; right as baseball season kicked off we had our cores shaken by a couple of cowards who left bombs at the Marathon finish line. By one and a half years old Maddie had been through her first "shelter in place" and had a shoot-out and capture of a very awful person happen within blocks of where she spends most of her time outside of our own house. It was a scary and sad time for us, and there is a house less than a mile from our own where a little boy will never return home because of the awful attack on our city.
 Despite the death, the destruction and the chaos, Boston moved forward, creating and contributing millions of dollars to the One Fund to help the victims of the attacks; organizing runs and events to show our love and support for each other and our city; attending games, cheering for our teams and eventually watching the Red Sox take the 2013 World Championship. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and today we watched our team roll down Boylston Street, stopping at the Marathon finish line where so many lives were ripped apart, for a moment of silence to honor the victims of the bombings and pay respect to a city that has shown to truly be Boston Strong.
 Today we celebrated our beloved baseball team, standing in thick crowds without a bit of fear or hesitation despite what we had been through just months before. We cheered as they passed us, the Dropkick Murphys playing live on a flat bed, Big Papi rapping along to his walk-up song.
 Then we went along our way, seeking out a place to get a bite to eat. It was a madhouse and people were lining up to get inside of every restaurant, so we ended up catching the T and going down to the Beerworks by my office. Although we were all starving and in need of a beer by the time we got down there, it was awesome to think of how much money was being put back into these places that had to close or experience a lot less business after April. Everyone and their grandmother (no, really!) were out and about on a beautiful fall day, getting lunch, going shopping and stopping to thank all of the first responders who consistently go above and beyond what we ask them to do.
I didn't set out to write about what happened in April again, but it is hard to talk about how much I love this amazing city without giving credit to the incredible way that we all handled the tragedy of the Marathon bombing and where we are now, a mere seven months later.

I am proud to call Boston my home, the city where I met my best friends and the love of my life, the city that has provided me with an amazing career and network of people and the city where I get to raise my daughter, a kid that will never know a Red Sox team without a World Series trophy a mere 23 months into her life. Lucky kid!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart