Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Maddie!



Wow. my sweet little baby, who I swear I just brought home from the hospital, turned two today. I wasn't home when she woke up because I was out with my running team and she woke up waaaaay to early, but as soon as I walked in she ran over in her pajamas with her crazy bedhead and immediately wanted to be picked up and to begin our morning snuggle routine. I sang her happy birthday. which she has been asking everyone to do all week; "sing happy happy!" she asks/demands. I made her pancakes with funfetti the color of Thomas and let her play with her trains while she ate. We chatted about her upcoming day and our Skype date with Grandma tonight so she can open her presents "live" with her and then we got ready and off to pick up her nanny.
 I was going to stay home from work today but I have most of the week off next week and my boss is on vacation and I know that Maddie will have just as much (ok, probably more) fun with her nanny. I will be ready to celebrate tonight, then again tomorrow with Jane, and again on Friday with Kate. At age two she has already adopted the "birth week celebration" that we O'Sheas love so much - smart kiddo!
Here are some other stats on Maddie as she begins her terrific twos!

Favorite activities: She loves the playground, especially climbing high ladders and going down the high slides (eek, my heart!); attending her weekly music classes where she is dancing and singing up a storm these days; going to the Museum of Science and looking at the "dine-dines" (dinosaurs) and coloring, oh the coloring! Maddie can sit down and color for hours, demanding that you draw trucks and trains for her to color over; she plows through coloring books in one sitting, so if you are at Target and see them in the dollar bin please grab ten for the next time you come over!

Favorite foods: She is definitely a toddler and a pretty picky eater, but we make what we make for dinner and offer it every night and if she refuses then we offer her some supplements: yogurt, applesauce or bread, since we know that she eats well during the day and on Thursdays when we have family dinner at my AIL's house. Her other favorite foods are mac and cheese, cheese in any capacity, more cheese, pancakes, soup (or as she says, zuppa!), pasta, kiwi, grapes, berries, bananas and peanut butter and jelly on potato bread. She really does not have a sweet tooth and still has very little interest in meat, so overall she eats pretty darn clean and I am proud to say that she has never had McDonalds or any sort of fast food aside from pintos and cheese from Taco Bell and a grilled cheese from In & Out.

Favorite people: When Maddie grows up and asks what kind of kid she was I know that I will never ever use the word "shy". She says hello to any and everyone who she sees, from the grocery store clerk to the homeless men in the park, and it could not make me happier. I think that stranger danger is a load of shit and I am happy to foster an outgoing, community aware little person who I am sure will make good decisions about who she should and should not talk to. Even now there are some people that she chooses  not to talk to, and in general I have agreed with her taste, so if you ever hear someone call her shy, it is because they don't seem fun enough to chat with; sorry creeps. Aside from her love for strangers Maddie deeply loves her Jane, her nanny Hannah, Kendra and Uncle V, Grandma, Papa and Sheila, Kate, her go-to sitters Mary, Robyn and Jill, her "fwends" from her birthday party and her cat, who she affectionately calls "Lou Lou no".

Her personality: To us she is smart beyond words; already singing (some of) the alphabet song, repeating every word she hears (that's been a fun change for our vocabulary); accurately pointing out different types of construction equipment and differentiating colors correctly (gone are the days where everything is "ye-yow"). Madeleine Jane is outgoing, funny, affectionate, empathetic (she gets very concerned when other kids cry), independent, stubborn and curious. She loves trains, trucks, buses, planes, people, playgrounds, pancakes and parades. She hates sleeping, going to bed, being told that she needs to go to bed, or staying asleep, which truly is our only parent struggle with her.

Maddie Jane, you have brought so much joy, laughter and love into all of our lives and you are by far the most amazing little human I have ever known. Thank you for having us along for your journey!

Happy Birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart