Skip to main content

Buh-Bye Summer

Oh, hey Wednesday night? Where did you come from? And why is there football on tv? Oh, right, because summer is absolutely on its way outta here. Zoom. Later.

We pretty much had a jazz funeral for summer this past weekend and did everything that we loved doing all summer in three and a half days off.

Friday our dear friend Steve who is now on the West Coast arranged a hang out to drink beer, eat food and catch up at the Abbey in Brookline. I got to meet my former boss at Starbucks' sweet little 5 month old boy and try the Cambridge Brewing Co. Hefeweizen too!

Saturday we dedicated to the beach after my yoga class and a run along the beach in Southie. We packed up the baby, the bestie Kate, and some good food and headed up to Rockport. We used to go there a lot the summer before we got married but apparently never got the memo about how amazing Front Beach is and how adorable Bearskin Neck is. There are tons of cute shops and places to eat and some amazing views of the harbor. We went up there when my Mom was here this summer and found free (!!!) parking; wouldn't you know it we did it again this time and spent the $20 we would have put towards parking on a new tug boat toy for Maddie and a handmade map lampshade for the living room. The water was a bit cold but Matty and I warmed up to it (Maddie and Kate preferred to sunbathe and eat sand, you guess the order) and there were some great tide pools to explore. Matty found hermit crabs and put one in his hand, which Maddie found hilarious! Then I found a baby jellyfish, which I found worthy of getting the hell away from. Here are some pictures from the day:
The view from the harbor while I eat my ice cream.

Goodbye summer hat and white linen pants (not pictured).

Beach baby!

LOVE this area.

Hey, fellas.
 On Sunday we were talked into going to Aunt Jane's for a full-on clambake (life is rough, I tell you) and Maddie got to play with all her new toys and snacks over at our home away from home. I literally thought I was going to explode into an aquarium; it was SO good! Afterward we went to Babies R Us to get some baby proofing items since our dear little 9 month old thinks its okay to start walking around. I always thought people that said their babies younger than 12 months that could walk were about as honest as the people who said their newborns slept through the night, but lo and behold little Maddie is taking steps and trying to get around on two feet like it is no one's business! We also got everything we needed to give Maddie her first big girl tubbie (bye bye until next baby little whale tub!), which she thoroughly enjoyed.


Maddie saying hello to lunch.
Mmmm steamers and Abita!



For the weekend finale we went for another long run in Southie on Monday and then had a few of our favorite people over to try my Turkish burger with whipped feta recipe (so good) and drink the last summer beers on the porch with us. I love how much fun we can have just hanging out with our friends, watching the baby stumble around and listening to Sam Cooke over beers.

And just like that, summer was gone.

Tuesday morning we woke up to dark skies and bleary eyes (all three of us) and I had a serious desire for pumpkin flavored everything. Today I had to put on my pink Hunter wellies (and by had to I mean, got to) and actually had a pumpkin doughnut; I made slow cooker chilli and my husband is fully immersed in the NFL (which will be great for my blogging).

And that, my friends, is a summer wrap.

We beached, we tanned, we taught the baby how to swim and now we prepare for Halloween, apple picking, fall fashion (yay!) and our brand new little baby turning a year old (say, what!?!).

Happy September, whether you are ready or not!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart