Skip to main content

Letting go for Lent

Happy Mardi Gras!! I was going to whip up one my famous king cakes to get all gluttonous over tonight but as I sat on the couch last night and looked at the hours of prep that it takes )that I could have done during the three home bound snow days)...well it looks like Fat Tuesday is going to be Fat Sunday this year...

So as much as today means party and fun and getting all that sin out of our system, tomorrow marks Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. It is also that time of year where I get really annoyed at all of the Facebook posts about people giving up chocolate or alcohol or whatever they failed doing for their New Year's Resolution. I appreciate giving up vices, I really do, but the real meaning of Lent is less about giving things up and more about giving more time to God. If you are giving up chocolate and spending that time that you would normally be shame-eating a bag of Kisses at your desk praying or volunteering or doing something great for others then you have the right idea, but if you are giving it up and are in no way using that time to better your connection to the world or prepare for Easter then, please, stop. Just stop. Don't use my holy holiday as an excuse to lose five pounds and don't spend time slamming organized religion or Catholics or Muslims or Jews or anyone on every other day and then talk about how you are giving up shopping for 40 days teehee teehee. I know, I am being a rude Catholic myself, but I take a lot of shit for being Catholic in the first place, and I just want my Lent back, dammit.

Now that I have that out of my system...

For Lent this year I am giving up my iPhone during the evenings; I know that does not quite sound like a sacrifice to some, but for me it is a chance to put the distractions away and focus on something much more important: my time with my family, with myself, and with God.
 Being a mama that also works full-time means that getting home at night means clocking into my other job; getting dinner together and in everyone's mouths, talking to Madeleine about her day, playing and reading books together, tubbie time, spending time with Matty and getting a little time for myself to relax, which is usually spent browsing Instagram, playing Words with Friends, tweeting about sitting on the couch....and before I know it I am tuned out of what is right in front of me and WAY more exciting than picture's of other people's babies and dinners: my baby and my dinner and my handsome hubby who wants to talk to me about all of the exciting things that we have going on.
So from when I get home in the evenings to when I go to bed at night for forty days I am going to put my phone away and stop being so busy, so distracted, so zombified into social media that I am neglecting the amazing blessings that are right there in my house for me to savor. Maybe this will give me a little more time to read the Bible, meditate, do some yoga stretches or reflect on my awesome life with my husband; maybe I can spend a few extra minutes snuggling my sleeping baby, smelling her hair and feeling her little breaths on my chest; maybe it will just give me the opportunity to slow. the. heck. down, which is something I have been in need of so intensely lately. All I can hope and pray for is that I will come out the other side of this holy season feeling renewed, recharged and more able to live in the moment and with grace, patience and appreciation for it all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart