Skip to main content

Currently 02/19/14

I know I posted one like this already, but I just can't handle the cute! Oh those rosebud lips!
Reading: I have put Skinny Legs and All down for the second time and I might not pick it back up. I really liked Tom Robbins when I first read him in grad school, but I just can't get into this book. I am half way through and have a weird thing about finishing books so I am sure that I will plow through at some point, but when my reading time is so limited I have a hard time reading anything that I don't love.
I have picked up The Red Tent (finally!) and am really enjoying it;  it makes me want to hug all the midwives I know and be all earthy mama with them. I am also reading the ever-so-trashy Lipstick Jungle (same author as Sex and the City) and am shaking my fist that the show was cancelled so quickly. They should have put it on HBO like Sex and the City and let it be as trashy as the book. Next up, Lean In, which is sitting on my nightstand ready for me to jump in. I have heard some pretty mixed reviews but since I have the pro-career woman/mom/have-it-all stance I think that it should be a good read for me. I will let you know!

Eating: I am trying to eat as "clean" as possible this week leading up to the Hyannis Half Marathon so I am avoiding fried foods, processed foods and trying to keep sugar and alcohol to a minimum (though someone left the new cookie dough Oreos out at the office and I may have helped myself more than once). What I put into my body has such a major effect on how I feel when I run (duh, I know) and I am trying to be really good to myself so I can have a good race on Sunday. I made a yummy red curry tofu dish Monday night and on making this Ginger Lime Shrimp Quinoa dish for dinner tonight. I have been really good about planning out a well rounded weekly menu every weekend, making some things ahead of time and enjoying some awesome weeknight meals (and leftover lunches) which is definitely helping me eat a lot better.

Thinking about: A new goal. I don't have one yet, but I love working on new goals and I am feeling a little stuck an uninspired lately. I mean, I am training for a marathon and we are working on getting our finances together for a house, but I have been doing those for a while now and I am itching for something new to motivate me. I talked about taking swimming lessons or a knitting class or getting yoga certified; I don't know what it is going to be, only that I need a little something to keep me excited through these terribly cold and dreary winter days.

Listening: I made a pretty epic playlist to get me through my treadmill runs in the morning, and I must say that Converge, Dystopia and 400 Blows are doing it for me. I think I need a new playlist for my race on Sunday, perhaps some metal, some hip hop and some of those secret cheesy songs that get me pumped (ie. Shipping up to Boston - I just can't help it!). 

Watching: I introduced Maddie to The Little Mermaid this weekend and now both that and Finding Nemo are on constant loops in our house, which suits me just fine since I love both of them. I also caught a documentary that was on 48 Hours the other night about marching bands in New Orleans; it was super interesting and made my itch to get back down there soon even itchier. 

Loving: Evenings at home with my family, especially since Maddie has been sleeping well and letting Matty and I have some serious quality time together that doesn't include watching tv with the closed captioning on while she yells from her room. I feel so lucky to have such a rad husband who I truly enjoy spending time with and going through this journey of life together next to. I have noticed a whole lot of relationship drama playing out in my Facebook feed lately and it makes me extra grateful to have such a solid, strong marriage and to not have to deal with the craziness of young relationships. 

Thanks Danielle for the reminder that I haven't posted one of these in a while!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life: Food Edition

If you haven't figured it out from this here blog, my life is pretty darn busy but I crave routine and do a pretty good job at sticking to a "regular" schedule, even if it does start at 5am and end sometime after 10pm. One of my most consistent things in life is definitely my eating. I love to eat, and love trying new foods and new restaurants but during the week I am the most boring person ever because I literally eat the same things at the same time every single day. At dinner, we get buck wild, but between 5 and 5, I am like a senior citizen. Here is a day in the life of what I am munching on: 5:00am (or whenever I stop hitting snooze) : one cup of coffee brewed at home with a hefty splash of half and half. I recently switched to the "light cream" store brand but that is as low on the fat as I will go - milk just does not do it for me like cream does. Post-run/workout (around 6:45) : second cup of coffee with cream Commute breakfast (between 7:1

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart